Bajan Turnovers

Local time
7:28 PM
So I just came across a thread that spoke to Pizza pockets 'ie turnovers'. Where I come from turnovers look like this.

20120211exposedturnoveronline-336x210.jpg

It's a small bun with a coconut mixture in the centre. When you speak of turnovers, is this what you have in mind?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a lover of our Bajan turnovers. However, my cousin who lives in the U.S.A. did not know what I was talking about when I spoke of turnovers. She referred to what we call jam puffs as turnovers. I was out shopping with her at this bakery store, and saw the jam puffs there. When I asked the store clerk for 2 jam puffs, she looked at me kind of strange and my cousin started laughing. They refer to our jam puffs as turnovers. I think Bajan turnovers are peculiar to us. I am not sure if they are made anywhere else. What we call jam puffs can be seen in the photo below.

upload_2015-10-3_12-5-35.jpeg

We often have apple turnovers, like the picture - so that's my immediate thought when I think of turnover.

Coconut filled ones sound lovely!

Edited to add- sorry about the picture size! Yikes! I don't know how to resize images (technologically challenged, sometimes!)

prd_2339521__apple_turnover_002.jpg

http://blog.toddfraser.com/coconut-turnover-recipe/
Well I figured turnovers might be unique to us and it appears I was right. This recipe by Todd is the Bajan/Barbadian way I suppose. I feel sure I've seen these in Miami but I am guessing they call it something different. What Cupcakechef posted looks like an apple pie. What we have here with that shape is filled with jam and called a jam puff. Caribbean girl, where did you get that shaped jam puff from? It looks a little fancier than the ones I buy,,,,

Caribbean girl, where did you get that shaped jam puff from? It looks a little fancier than the ones I buy

The photo of the jam puffs I posted is not something I had here, but I figured it looked close enough to what we call jam puffs. The photo that cupcakechef posted resembles the jam puffs we know about here, only it is filled with apple instead of jam.

The photo of the jam puffs I posted is not something I had here, but I figured it looked close enough to what we call jam puffs. The photo that cupcakechef posted resembles the jam puffs we know about here, only it is filled with apple instead of jam.

Okay, I get it but I feel like I have seen the odd one look similar. Then there is the horseshoe shaped one. I mostly buy the jam puffs for my son on Sundays. I don't know I am ready to try those or the turnovers just yet. They are both so sweet. When I travel to family and friends in the US and Canada, I have to take loads of the said turnovers. They freeze them and stretch them for months.

Back
Top Bottom