Recipe Baked beans

Cinisajoy

Veteran
Local time
6:42 AM
Baked beans
2 cans (roughly 16 oz each) pork n beans (outside the US, beans in tomato sauce)
3/4 cup dark molasses (treacle)(250 grams)
1/2 to a cup packed dark brown sugar (135 grams or more)
1 tablespoon ground or dry mustard
1 teaspoon pepper if desired
Finely Chopped onion (1 usually use 1/4 to 1/2 of an onion)
Couple of slices (rashers) bacon (streaky if outside of the US)

Chop up the bacon and cook till soft, add in onion and cook till it is soft. Add everything else. Cook on low stirring every few minutes for at least 1/2 an hour or bake in the oven at about 350°F for about an hour.

*If you are baking something else, just use that temperature.

Baked beans
2 cans (roughly 16 oz each) pork n beans (outside the US, beans in tomato sauce)
3/4 cup dark molasses (treacle)(250 grams)
1/2 to a cup packed dark brown sugar (135 grams or more)
1 tablespoon ground or dry mustard
1 teaspoon pepper if desired
Finely Chopped onion (1 usually use 1/4 to 1/2 of an onion)
Couple of slices (rashers) bacon (streaky if outside of the US)

Chop up the bacon and cook till soft, add in onion and cook till it is soft. Add everything else. Cook on low stirring every few minutes for at least 1/2 an hour or bake in the oven at about 350°F for about an hour.

*If you are baking something else, just use that temperature.

Gosh - I can imagine just how dark, sweet and hot this would be! I wonder how hot your ground mustard is? Hard for you to know if you don't know how hot the UK powdered mustard is. Anyway, I'm going to try this recipe and will post a photo in due course. We get pork 'n beans here but I don't know if its same as yours. The pork is pork sausages which are strangely soft in texture! It looks like this:

Baked-Beans...Heinz...05-03-13-S.jpg

No no no on your pork n beans.
Brb. With pictures.
I wasn't planning on baked beans today but now they sound good.

Gosh - I can imagine just how dark, sweet and hot this would be! I wonder how hot your ground mustard is? Hard for you to know if you don't know how hot the UK powdered mustard is. Anyway, I'm going to try this recipe and will post a photo in due course. We get pork 'n beans here but I don't know if its same as yours. The pork is pork sausages which are strangely soft in texture! It looks like this:

View attachment 7854

American mustards are more sour and tangy than hot, more like German or French mustards. Even our spicy brown mustard isn't really spicy. Nothing like Colman's.

And the pork in our pork and beans are usually lardons of pork belly. The picture you posted is something that children here call beaner wieners, or beans and hot dogs.

American mustards are more sour and tangy than hot, more like German or French mustards. Even our spicy brown mustard isn't really spicy. Nothing like Colman's.

And the pork in our pork and beans are usually lardons of pork belly. The picture you posted is something that children here call beaner wieners, or beans and hot dogs.
Down here what morning glory posted is called beanie weenies.

OK - I knew about your mustards but I wasn't sure regarding the ground mustard that @Cinisajoy is using. Yes - here the beans and sausages are a kid thing. But I still can't see where the pork (lardon) is in @Cinisajoy's photo.

Re American mustards - the sour tang will be coming from the vinegar added to the mustard seeds, I think, in order to make the condiment. So what I'm curious about is the taste of the ground mustard (powder).

OK - I knew about your mustards but I wasn't sure regarding the ground mustard that @Cinisajoy is using. Yes - here the beans and sausages are a kid thing. But I still can't see where the pork (lardon) is in @Cinisajoy's photo.

Re American mustards - the sour tang will be coming from the vinegar added to the mustard seeds, I think, in order to make the condiment. So what I'm curious about is the taste of the ground mustard (powder).
Tastes like ground yellow mustard seeds.

This recipe is basically doctored up canned navy beans. (The little white beans.)
Oh and you can let it simmer for an hour or more if you get busy. Just remember to stir once in a while.

Back
Top Bottom