Baked or Fried? Calling All Tilapia Recipes!

Diane Lane

Veteran
Local time
4:08 AM
I have a nice package of Tilapia fillets in the refrigerator and want to cook them up later. I haven't cooked it often enough to have settled on a favorite recipe. Do you eat Tilapia? How do you like it cooked? I'm going back and forth between oven baked and pan fried/seared. Here are the two recipes I'm looking at, but I'm torn, because they both sound yummy. Also, I don't have capers, so if you can think of a substitute, please let me know. What are your favorite side dishes to serve with Tilapia? I'm open to all recipes, the more the merrier, so feel free to share!

Attachments

• tilapia.jpg
    tilapia.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 301
I think you only attached an image - I can't see the recipes. For capers you can substitute finely chopped gherkins (dill pickles or deli pickles do you call them in US?). Like this:

440px-Pickle.jpg

It won't taste quite the same as capers but its a good substitute and one I have used before, as it happens, in a fish dish!

I think you only attached an image - I can't see the recipes. For capers you can substitute finely chopped gherkins (dill pickles or deli pickles do you call them in US?). Like this:

View attachment 1673

It won't taste quite the same as capers but its a good substitute and one I have used before, as it happens, in a fish dish!

Click the links where it says: oven baked and pan/seared, those are the recipes. They're pretty basic, although the oven baked does use capers :D. Ah, I never thought to substitute pickles. I am actually out of those, so adding them to my shopping list. I am considering substituting cornmeal for the flour, if I pan fry the fillets.

Click the links where it says: oven baked and pan/seared, those are the recipes. They're pretty basic, although the oven baked does use capers :D. Ah, I never thought to substitute pickles. I am actually out of those, so adding them to my shopping list. I am considering substituting cornmeal for the flour, if I pan fry the fillets.

I prefer the baked recipe but mainly because it contains capers. The pan fried is really a bit too basic, I think. But you could certainly sub cornmeal for flour. You could add capers to the pan fried version if you remove the fillets once cooked and then add a knob of butter and capers to the pan with a tiny bit of their brine and sizzle to reduce a little! Pour over the fish and you're done.

I always like eating fried Tilapia and I do not like the taste of baked Tilapia. However there is one recipe that we always cook for Tilapia if the whole family are all together during weekends and that is the "Sweet and Sour Tilapia". It's good and delicious too!

I ended up pan frying it. I didn't go to the store first, so no capers or pickles, and I did use the cornmeal. I think the reason I prefer the cornmeal on tilapia is that it's so mild tasting by itself. I also pan fried some sliced roma tomatoes after the fish, in the same pan, and served it up with baked potatoes. It was all yummy!

@morning glory I just learned to hide the links like that, you probably missed them because you're used to my clunky links :D.

I have a nice package of Tilapia fillets in the refrigerator and want to cook them up later. I haven't cooked it often enough to have settled on a favorite recipe. Do you eat Tilapia? How do you like it cooked? I'm going back and forth between oven baked and pan fried/seared. Here are the two recipes I'm looking at, but I'm torn, because they both sound yummy. Also, I don't have capers, so if you can think of a substitute, please let me know. What are your favorite side dishes to serve with Tilapia? I'm open to all recipes, the more the merrier, so feel free to share!
I don't think I have ever made fried tiliapia. I always bake or grill it. I make a Mexican fish dish with tilapia that is really delicious. It is one of the best things I make, but I have to make sure that I have all the ingredients as it takes several. These are the things that I will use when I have the time, to make the dish.

I like tilapia! It's been a while since I've had it, but my favorite way of preparing it was either just baking with lemon and garlic, or doing this yummy parmesan crusted tilapia - breadcrumbs, some parmesan cheese, herbs and spices (Italian blend ones are good!) and then bake in the oven. Delish!

Our favorite tilapia dish is fried. It is the simple filet that we order in the market - the vendor would filet the tilapia while we wait. At home we wash the filet very well before cooking. The only ingredient is the corn starch where we roll the filet. Frying takes a few minutes and we harvest from the pan when the color is brown. Now, the trick in taste is the dip. A sweet and sour mix is a good dip since tilapia is bland in taste. But our concoction of a mix is this - vinegar, crushed ginger, salt, black pepper and red pepper. Let the mixture blend for 10 minutes before using. Get plenty of steaming rice, yummy.

Another recipe that I am doing for the "Tilapia"....After I fried the Tilapia I drained it first on paper towels and set aside for awhile. For the sauce I saute garlic, onion and tomatoes. Put a little water and give it a boil and put a little dash of salt and sugar to taste. Then put the fried Tilapia together with the sauce and continue to boil until the sauce is cooked. Lastly add spring onions and it is done. This is also delicious!

Our favorite tilapia dish is fried. It is the simple filet that we order in the market - the vendor would filet the tilapia while we wait. At home we wash the filet very well before cooking. The only ingredient is the corn starch where we roll the filet. Frying takes a few minutes and we harvest from the pan when the color is brown. Now, the trick in taste is the dip. A sweet and sour mix is a good dip since tilapia is bland in taste. But our concoction of a mix is this - vinegar, crushed ginger, salt, black pepper and red pepper. Let the mixture blend for 10 minutes before using. Get plenty of steaming rice, yummy.

That sounds yummy indeed, Corzhens! I love ginger, and the combination of vinegar and the spices/seasonings you mentioned sounds divine!

Another recipe that I am doing for the "Tilapia"....After I fried the Tilapia I drained it first on paper towels and set aside for awhile. For the sauce I saute garlic, onion and tomatoes. Put a little water and give it a boil and put a little dash of salt and sugar to taste. Then put the fried Tilapia together with the sauce and continue to boil until the sauce is cooked. Lastly add spring onions and it is done. This is also delicious!
This sounds really good. I usually just try or bake it with a few spices but nothing too fancy. I am definitely going to try this thing next time I pick up some Tilapia.

Back
Top Bottom