Recipe Baked Rice Pudding with Pomeganate, Apricots and Flaked Almonds

Kake Lover

Veteran
Local time
7:47 AM
In the UK, Rice Pudding is a traditional milk pudding made with a short grain rice that we can buy called 'Pudding Rice'.
According to wikipedia ...

"A specific type of rice is available and widely used for rice pudding called "Pudding Rice". Similar to Arborio rice, its grain is round and short, and when cooked produces a creamier consistency than savoury rice. However, short grained rice such as risotto rice can be used as a substitute."

I bake my rice pudding in the oven in a glass pyrex dish with a lid on which helps to keep it creamy and preserves the caramelly skin for those that like it.

Everyone has their own family recipe and usually I like to keep mine fairly simple but for the Recipe Challenge I have jazzed it up and I have to say it was delicious. The combination of the creamy rice and the soft apricots were complimented with the crunch of the nuts and seeds, whilst none of the delicate flavours were over whelmed by each other.

fullsizeoutput_2aec.jpeg

Ingredients
1 pint of whole milk
2½ oz pudding rice
1 oz sugar ( I used golden granulated but brown suager would give a more caramel flavour)
small knob of butter
nutmeg for grating
pomegranate seeds
apricots (fresh if you can get them, I used tinned ones in juice)
1 tbsp flaked almonds

Method
Put the milk, rice, sugar into an ovenproof dish, preferably one with a lid, otherwise use foil.
Stir, then add the butter in little pieces evenly.
Generously grate some nutmeg over.
Cover and bake in the oven at 150° for 2 hours.
Serve with a few pieces of apricot and scattered with the pomegranate jewels and the flaked almonds.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bake my rice pudding in the oven in a glass pyrex dish with a lid on which helps to keep it creamy and preserves the caramelly skin for those that like it.

I have had rice pudding before, but not home made. It came in little tubs sealed over. Certainly what I have had can't compare. I can see however why some people love it and others, hate it. Those who hate it must have had the same type I have had. I knew that Pomegranate would allow a great deal of diverse responses and I'm beginning to see that now with posts like yours. I love it! From main entrees we go to deserts like yours, @MypinchofItaly 's muffins and @morning glory 's soon to be posted entry. I know now why it took a couple days to judge the last challenge. It's gonna be tough on me.

Back
Top Bottom