Baking on charcoal!

kammy

Veteran
Local time
1:23 AM
With the festive seasons right around the corner i have lots of baking to do especially as i have decided to bake some cakes and puddings and give to my friends and family members for their Christmas gift...however i am thinking of baking my puddings on a charcoal pot as i usually have better results. Have anyone ever used a charcoal pot for baking and where your results a success?

Isn't this what some of us call a Dutch oven? I see them at camping stores all of the time. They are pots that you put on a campfire, and they have a sunken lid in which you can put hot coals on top of the pot so that the food gets heat from both the top and the bottom. I have never heard of it referred to as a charcoal pot, but I think this is what we are talking about here?

With the festive seasons right around the corner i have lots of baking to do especially as i have decided to bake some cakes and puddings and give to my friends and family members for their Christmas gift...however i am thinking of baking my puddings on a charcoal pot as i usually have better results. Have anyone ever used a charcoal pot for baking and where your results a success?
Basically cooking on the grill correct? I haven't tried that, if that is what your referring to. I have never heard of the term charcoal pot.

009.jpg

This is what a charcoal pot looks like... i usually purchase mine at the farmers market and they are very affordable. You just fill with coal and you can cook just about anything on it...just place a grill atop this pot to do roasts or grilled recipes.

009.jpg

This is what a charcoal pot looks like... i usually purchase mine at the farmers market and they are very affordable. You just fill with coal and you can cook just about anything on it...just place a grill atop this pot to do roasts or grilled recipes.
Now I understand. It is effectively a British BBQ or American charcoal grill.

What puddings would you bake (rather than cook) on it? So not boiling them like rice pudding or similar. Baking is different (in the UK at least) to roasting, boiling, grilling and frying which are all different forms of cooking.

Definition of bake: to cook (food) by dry heat without direct exposure to a flame, typically in an oven.

That is a very nice pot. It does remind me of a charcoal grill that we use here, just a little more fancy. I have never thought of making pudding or any desserts on a grill. I usually cook meat and veggies with ours. Do those pots get hot?

Now I understand. It is effectively a British BBQ or American charcoal grill.

What puddings would you bake (rather than cook) on it? So not boiling them like rice pudding or similar. Baking is different (in the UK at least) to roasting, boiling, grilling and frying which are all different forms of cooking.

I usually bake sweet potato or cornmeal puddings on my coal pot...there is a cover that is placed atop the baking tin with fire coals but less coal is placed atop as you want that nice cream atop your pudding.
hell_pot_4.jpg

I've never actually used a charcoal pot for pudding. I think I used one once a very long time ago on a camping trip when I was little but I can't remember what it is I used it to cook. None the less, it seems like a very helpful product and I'm sure you'll be able to get a lot done with it. As for the flavoring or how it will come out, I'm afraid only trial and error will be the determinate.

Back
Top Bottom