Recipe Banana pudding

My grandmother used cornstarch and she never made the meringue.
For those that asked the wafers are only 1 inch or 2.5 cm.
Make a basic cooked vanilla custard. If you want meringue, separate the eggs. Otherwise just beat the eggs till the yolks and the whites blend. Remember to temper the eggs or put them in at the start.
Cool the custard/pudding whichever you call it.
Now line a bowl with vanilla wafers. Slice in a banana. Add some pudding. More banana. More pudding, until the bowl is full. Stick more vanilla wafers around the edge.
If someone doesn't like bananas, then you can line them a small bowl with vanilla wafers and add just the pudding.

My grandmother used cornstarch and she never made the meringue.
For those that asked the wafers are only 1 inch or 2.5 cm.
Make a basic cooked vanilla custard. If you want meringue, separate the eggs. Otherwise just beat the eggs till the yolks and the whites blend. Remember to temper the eggs or put them in at the start.
Cool the custard/pudding whichever you call it.
Now line a bowl with vanilla wafers. Slice in a banana. Add some pudding. More banana. More pudding, until the bowl is full. Stick more vanilla wafers around the edge.
If someone doesn't like bananas, then you can line them a small bowl with vanilla wafers and add just the pudding.

I always make my custard from scratch. I never use instant pudding. our mom did also.
The eggs got used completely Four eggs if your making a large one, two for a small one. The yolks are for part of the thickening and color of the pudding or custard. The whites are for the meringue.

What I like most is that the warmth from the custard helps to soften the vanilla wafers so that they like eating a slice of cake. Mmmm!!! I wanted to make some last week, but the supermarket that I was at, their bananas looked bruised and a little over ripe! So I decided to wait until another time to do it. :wink:

Last edited:
I always make my custard from scratch. I never use instant pudding. our mom did also.
The eggs got used completely Four eggs if your making a large one, two fo a small one. The yolks are for part of the thickening and color of the pudding or custard. The whites are for the meringue.

What I like most is that the warmth from the custard helps to soften the vanilla wafers so that they like eating a slice of cake. Mmmm!!! I wanted to make some last week, but the supermarket that I was at, their bananas looked bruised and a little over ripe! So I decided to wait until another time to do it. :wink:
So it isn't just our stores that have either eat next week or should have been eaten last week bananas?
Never eat now bananas.

So it isn't just our stores that have either eat next week or should have been eaten last week bananas?
Never eat now bananas.

I have a couple of overripe bananas in the fridge that I'm planning to make banana bread with.

banana pudding.jpg

Here's the banana pudding that I made! The cookies are soft like a cake! :wink:

Last edited:
I have a couple of overripe bananas in the fridge that I'm planning to make banana bread with.

You know you can freeze them unpeeled? I do that when either 1 doesn't get eaten before it's too ripe or I just don't get around to making the bread but don't want them to go to waste. Freezing them also makes them break down more and they are even easier to mix into the dough.

Back
Top Bottom