Bara brith

I have just received a recipe for a vegan (and dairy-free) bara brith. It was sent to me by a non-member but someone who's keen to fly the flag for Welsh cuisine.

There's a query over 'recipe ownership' so I won't post it on here until that's been determined. If anyone wants early sight of the recipe, then feel free to contact me.

Ingredients
Method
  1. In a large bowl soak the fruit and sugar in strained tea and leave overnight.

2. Next day preheat the oven to 170C/325F/Gas 3. Line a 900g/2lb loaf tin with baking parchment.

3. Mix the remaining ingredients into the fruit mixture and beat well.

4. Pour the mixture into the loaf tin and bake the oven and bake for 1½ hours or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.

I use this recipe from BBC.com but I add a tablespoon of marmalade to the recipe.

Thank you very much @LadyBelle - that's great to see. Your recipe has gone straight into my list of "cakes to make in September".

FYI - I believe that @morning glory made a yeast-leavened version of bara brith recently. I'm not sure if she's going to post her recipe in this thread or elsewhere. It'll be one to look out for though ….

I've been surprised at the under-representation of Welsh cuisine (and Welsh members) in the forum. But it's entirely possible that I've missed earlier threads, recipes etc. I have been trying to remember more Welsh dishes, cakes etc that I ate when I was a child (my mother's side of the family originate from the Llandudno area) and have come up with surprisingly little....but I do recall a quite widespread use of fine oatmeal. My sister is currently ploughing through the family cookbooks looking for old recipes that we can try to replicate.

I'd be very pleased if you can offer up some suggestions for more original Welsh recipes.

Best wishes from Brittany (the Welsh bit)

Thank you very much @LadyBelle - that's great to see. Your recipe has gone straight into my list of "cakes to make in September".

FYI - I believe that @morning glory made a yeast-leavened version of bara brith recently. I'm not sure if she's going to post her recipe in this thread or elsewhere. It'll be one to look out for though ….

I've been surprised at the under-representation of Welsh cuisine (and Welsh members) in the forum. But it's entirely possible that I've missed earlier threads, recipes etc. I have been trying to remember more Welsh dishes, cakes etc that I ate when I was a child (my mother's side of the family originate from the Llandudno area) and have come up with surprisingly little....but I do recall a quite widespread use of fine oatmeal. My sister is currently ploughing through the family cookbooks looking for old recipes that we can try to replicate.

I'd be very pleased if you can offer up some suggestions for more original Welsh recipes.

Best wishes from Brittany (the Welsh bit)

Welsh cakes? Have a recipe if you want.

I suppose Cawl is the other big favourite. Just the best thing to eat on a cold day. I’ll have a think and find some other suggestions.

Bara Brith (second attempt) with lashings of butter.

fullsizeoutput_3935.jpeg

Quite wonderful - I see you've got the colour of the crumb browner. More tea?

Did you put some cranberries in too?

Quite wonderful - I see you've got the colour of the crumb browner. More tea?

Did you put some cranberries in too?

Thank you. No - not much better really on the colour. I think the photos vary according to light - but yes, I did put the tea in the dough this time round.

Back
Top Bottom