Recipe Barley Orzotto with Prawns or Rice Orzo with Prawns ..

Francesca

Local time
3:10 PM
Orozotto, or barley in the shape of "risotto grains" is a predomínate crop, grown in the northeastern Italian región of Fruli di Guilia. Orzo on the other hand is a rice from Lombardy or Lombardia.

FRANCESCAGREEKORZOGAMBERI20150117_142841.jpg

The récipe is prepared the same way. The Ingredients and method are as follows:

250 Grams of Orzotto Barley Pearls - Organic / Bio at Health Food Store or similar ..
1 Kilo of large prawns (deviened and de-shelled)
1 Large lemon ( for the juice )
1 / 2 cup fresh basil leaves minced
1 / 4 cup fresh mint leaves minced
1 handful of fresh spinach thorougly rinsed and shredded or minced
Italian Evoo ..
1 shallot minced
1 / 2 tsp salt to taste
diced de seeded tomato red ripe but firm
2 cloves garlic minced
freshly ground pepper to taste
5o grams of fennel diced finely
100 grams of fresh parsely minced finely
1 celery stalk diced finely
1 carrot diced finely
2 Green scallions diced finely
50 grams 82 % French butter or French style butter ( Butter in The Usa is only 80 % butter fat )
2 Molds: Approx. 12 - 15 cm. oval or round molds .. ( see photo: The orzotto was placed in a spherical mold and taken out of mold on plate .. )

1) Mince the herbs and the fennel bulb with fronds ..
2) In a stock pot, high simmer water or vegetable stock if you prefer and put in the herbs and diced fennel.
3) Place the herbs in a strainer and reserve the Green liquid .. Which is your " vegetable broth " ..
4) Now, devein and behead and de-shell the prawns .. ( Reserve the heads & shells )
5) Take the Green broth and place in a Dutch casserole or earthenware or large sauce pot ..
6) Add the onion or the shallot, and the scallions, carrots, celery, tomato etcetra ( all diced tiny ).
7) Boil the Heads of the Prawns that you beheaded and all the shells in a separate stock pot ..
8) Simmer low to médium heat for 35 to 40 minutes .. ( covered)
9) Now, strain the contents, removing the beheaded prawn heads and the shells and add this liquid to the Green broth and with a standup mixer, combine well with Evoo, and add back into the Pot, and add the Orzotto or Pearl barley and when the barley pearls are almost cooked, add the fresh prawns and all herbs. Simmer on low 10 mins. Re-adjust your salt and spices to taste ..

Enjoy ! This pairs perfectly with Prosecco ! Cava or any other sparkling wine .. And rustic Chapata bread or similar ..

Last edited:
I love all the green herbs - I haven't ever used barley in this way so I must experiment!

@morning glory

It was an experiment at the time for me too to prepare it at home.

It was very lovely. I would definitely prepare it again however, I would prepare it as if it were a Risotto in a terracotta earthenware ..

Have a lovely evening ..

Very nice. It looks like you meant to reserve the shells in step 4 and add them to the boil in step 7 (I was going to ask why you reserved only the heads, but step 9 shows that you already know that the shell also imparts tremendous flavor to the broth).

Orozotto, or barley in the shape of "risotto grains" is a predomínate crop, grown in the northeastern Italian región of Fruli di Guilia. Orzo on the other hand is a rice from Lombardy or Lombardia.

View attachment 10003

The récipe is prepared the same way. The Ingredients and method are as follows:

250 Grams of Orzotto Barley Pearls - Organic / Bio at Health Food Store or similar ..
1 Kilo of large prawns (deviened and de-shelled)
1 Large lemon ( for the juice )
1 / 2 cup fresh basil leaves minced
1 / 4 cup fresh mint leaves minced
1 handful of fresh spinach thorougly rinsed and shredded or minced
Italian Evoo ..
1 shallot minced
1 / 2 tsp salt to taste
diced de seeded tomato red ripe but firm
2 cloves garlic minced
freshly ground pepper to taste
5o grams of fennel diced finely
100 grams of fresh parsely minced finely
1 celery stalk diced finely
1 carrot diced finely
2 Green scallions diced finely
50 grams 82 % French butter or French style butter ( Butter in The Usa is only 80 % butter fat )
2 Molds: Approx. 12 - 15 cm. oval or round molds .. ( see photo: The orzotto was placed in a spherical mold and taken out of mold on plate .. )

1) Mince the herbs and the fennel bulb with fronds ..
2) In a stock pot, high simmer water or vegetable stock if you prefer and put in the herbs and diced fennel.
3) Place the herbs in a strainer and reserve the Green liquid .. Which is your " vegetable broth " ..
4) Now, devein and behead and de-shell the prawns .. ( Reserve the heads )
5) Take the Green broth and place in a Dutch casserole or earthenware or large sauce pot ..
6) Add the onion or the shallot, and the scallions, carrots, celery, tomato etcetra ( all diced tiny ).
7) Boil this with the Heads of the Prawns that you beheaded ..
8) Simmer low to médium heat for 35 to 40 minutes .. ( covered)
9) Now, strain the contents, removing the beheaded prawn shells and with a standup mixer, combine well with Evoo, and add back into the Pot, and add the Orzotto ( barley) and when the barley pearls are almost cooked, add the fresh prawns and all herbs. Simmer on low 10 mins. If too thick, just add a little water & re-adjust your salt ..

Enjoy ! This pairs perfectly with Prosecco ! Cava or any other sparkling wine .. And rustic Chapata bread or similar ..

Great dish @Francesca :bravo:! I love it!

Very nice. It looks like you meant to reserve the shells in step 4 and add them to the boil in step 7 (I was going to ask why you reserved only the heads, but step 9 shows that you already know that the shell also imparts tremendous flavor to the broth).

@The Late Night Gourmet,

An error on my typing .. Thank you. Yes I utilise both the heads and the shells.

Shall correct !!

Have a lovely evening ..

Back
Top Bottom