Recipe Barley/Spelt/Rice cakes

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
1:35 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
As a rule, we don't eat much bread for no other reason than we only shop once a week and prefer fresh bread. OK the main reason is bread in the UK is either not very nice or the nice stuff is simply too expensive. So I tend to make up something to dip into soups or they have dumplings or cobbler already in them.

This recipe is a very quick & easy alternative to bread for a soup. You can use pretty much any grain that has been pre-cooked, and to be honest, the amount is a guide, just make sure it is well cooked otherwise the grain will pop when cooking. I usually double the quantity and as always they don't last long enough to go off.

Ingredients
10 oz self raising flour
2 oz cornmeal (optional but its a nice addition)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt (add more if you prefer things with salt)
3-4 oz butter or marg (I use Pure sunflower marg)
8 oz or so of a well cooked grain such as rice, barley, pearl barley, spelt etc
milk/soya milk to bind

Method
mix the flour, cornmeal, salt, baking powder in a bowl. add marg/butter and 'blend' into coasrse 'breadcrumbs'. Add the pre-cooked rice/barley/spelt and mix in. Now simply add enough milk to make a slightly sticky dough.
Roll out on a floured surface so dough is about 1/2-3/4cm thick (in other words not very thick). Slice into sensible sizes. Cook on a gridle over a low to moderate heat, turning when starting to brown...
break one in half to check they are cooked all the way through and eat just to double check!

IMG_4955.JPG

This lot were made with spelt grain - around an american cup prior to cooking, but usually I just use well cooked rice.

You can also add any herb or spices to them at the mixing the flour stage to give a little kick to them.

Back
Top Bottom