The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
9:35 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
CEB189DF-EDEF-4933-B542-AB685289399E.jpeg

I wanted to call this recipe “Basil Mac & Cheese Donuts: Fulfilling a dream that you didn’t know you had," but I didn't know if it would have fit. Next time, I'm using bacon instead of basil. I think I would have had more of a donut shape if I hadn't overfilled the tray somewhat.

And, before you ask, I consider these to be donuts because they're soft (which bagels aren't) and they aren't boiled before baking (which bagels are).

I don’t know why I decided to make this. Maybe I wanted to make something simple but still have some creativity. This was made based on different recipes. It is simple, or should’ve been, but I sometimes have ways of making things more difficult on myself.

I'll explain my mistakes as I go.

Ingredients

1 cup prepared macaroni & cheese
2 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon basil
1/4 teaspoon poppy seeds, or more as desired

My intention here was to show all the ingredients I used to make this. There's 1 of the Kraft mac & cheese (2.19 oz) cups, the contents of another in the mini food processor, baking powder, and a sort of part dry/part fresh basil

12D3206C-6877-4435-8377-28CB4CADD9A7.jpeg

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350°F (175 °C).

2. Whip the egg roughly, then add all ingredients except salt, basil, and poppy seeds to food processor. Blend for a minute. Add salt to taste and blend for 30 seconds. Sprinkle in basil and blend for another 30 seconds.

66497372-84F1-445D-901C-52956A4D42E2.jpeg

Did you catch what I missed? That's right: the egg. Let's see how long it takes before I catch myself.

3. Pour mixture into donut mold tray. Mine are mini-donut-sized, and it only used half of the mixture (or 2 Kraft cup mac & cheese cups).

66755D11-E6E6-4870-BD0A-99133AED43BD.jpeg

It was at this point when I realized that I forgot to use cooking spray on the pan. So, I scooped everything out, sprayed, and put it all back.

4. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until surface firms up somewhat.

About 5 minutes in, I decided to sprinkle the poppy seeds on.

About 7 minute in, I touched the surface to see how firm it was, and it collapsed. I immediately realized that I didn't have a binder. So, I - yes, that's right - scooped it all out again, blended the egg in that I had forgotten to add, then resprayed the pan and repoured the mixture back in. It ended up being about 20 minutes total.

5. Remove from oven, and allow to sit in pan for 5 more minutes before removing. They should fall right out, but use a knife to pry them out around the edges if needed.

Last edited:
View attachment 13381
I wanted to call this recipe “Basil Mac & Cheese Donuts: Fulfilling a dream that you didn’t know you had," but I didn't know if it would have fit. Next time, I'm using bacon instead of basil. I think I would have had more of a donut shape if I hadn't overfilled the tray somewhat.

And, before you ask, I consider these to be donuts because they're soft (which bagels aren't) and they aren't boiled before baking (which bagels are).

I don’t know why I decided to make this. Maybe I wanted to make something simple but still have some creativity. This was made based on different recipes. It is simple, or should’ve been, but I sometimes have ways of making things more difficult on myself.

I'll explain my mistakes as I go.

Ingredients

1 cup prepared macaroni & cheese
2 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon basil
1/4 teaspoon poppy seeds, or more as desired

My intention here was to show all the ingredients I used to make this. There's 1 of the Kraft mac & cheese (2.19 oz) cups, the contents of another in the mini food processor, baking powder, and a sort of part dry/part fresh basil

View attachment 13379

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350°F (175 °C).

2. Whip the egg roughly, then add all ingredients except salt, basil, and poppy seeds to food processor. Blend for a minute. Add salt to taste and blend for 30 seconds. Sprinkle in basil and blend for another 30 seconds.

View attachment 13380

Did you catch what I missed? That's right: the egg. Let's see how long it takes before I catch myself.

3. Pour mixture into donut mold tray. Mine are mini-donut-sized, and it only used half of the mixture (or 2 Kraft cup mac & cheese cups).

View attachment 13382

It was at this point when I realized that I forgot to use cooking spray on the pan. So, I scooped everything out, sprayed, and put it all back.

4. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until surface firms up somewhat.

About 5 minutes in, I decided to sprinkle the poppy seeds on.

About 7 minute in, I touched the surface to see how firm it was, and it collapsed. I immediately realized that I didn't have a binder. So, I - yes, that's right - scooped it all out again, blended the egg in that I had forgotten to add, then resprayed the pan and repoured the mixture back in. It ended up being about 20 minutes total.

5. Remove from oven, and allow to sit in pan for 5 more minutes before removing. They should fall right out, but use a knife to pry them out around the edges if needed.
Its look nice & wanna to be eat that.. I'll try it make own & tell how is turned out

Back
Top Bottom