Basil pesto. First attempt.

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
6:55 PM
so we have copious amounts basil, the best we've ever had. I giggled it and it's easy. Basil and pine nuts, I'm in two minds if I should dry roast the nuts??????
Whizz then add cheese and garlic salt n pepper. Then drizzle virgin oil in. I will report back later as I have a pile of sammys to make for my d.i.l. Her granddad passed away yesterday.

Russ

Last edited by a moderator:
so we have copious amounts basil, the best we've ever had. I giggled it and it's easy. Basil and pine nuts, I'm in two minds if I should dry roast the nuts??????
Whizz then add cheese and garlic salt n pepper. Then drizzle vitgin oil in. I will report back later as I have a pile of sammys to make for my d.i.l. Her granddad passed away yesterday.

Russ

I'm sorry to hear of your d.i.l's loss. She's lucky to have you helping out. I'd be interested to hear how the pesto comes out.

Ok last night was pesto night.......until our new 55 inch tvs turned up after ordering a month ago. So I set about switching tvs, the guy that delivered said just plug it in and it will go. Not true, after 30 mins it was on the table and I turned it on. Ok, mucking around country, click, wifi, click, Netflix, Amazon, click. An hour later and everything works.
I'm really looking forward to seeing peaky blinders episodes I havnt seen yet.
Anywho I can't for the life of me work out how sky works, phone call to son, he'll be around in weekend to sort it. Ok, wife wants old tv put back so she can watch her recorded programmes. Switch tvs back again.
And that's why I never made pesto last night. Today its raining so I won't make it with wet basil. Maybe tomorrow. Wife's at a conference for 3 days so we shall see.

Russ

This sounds like my afternoon . Needed to do work on my 4x4. It's a bit of a joke really given the size of the thing. I need ladders just to teach the middle of the bonnet.. .

Anyhow we bought the vehicle with a wobbly glass in the passenger wing mirror. I'd long ago fallen out with it when it fell out with my hubby. Literally. He had to stop and go and retrieve the mirror and mechanism . I managed to source a caravan towing mirror and get that fitted. Downside is that you can't put the window all the way down with that on because you can't control which side of the little thing that slots into the window slot the window goes when you put it up. And it had to be the outside. So I set about calling with little problems that have come to light since removing the spare wheel, now living in the boot so I can actually use the boot. Another story. Sort those our and decide is only 3pm I'll do the wing mirror. Cute one problem after the other. Prise off necessary bits ,cute problem 1. Need the socket set to undo the nuts (?) that are hidden behind it. I was expecting very large diameter screws for some reason , get socket set from garage and it doesn't work. Spins freely . Investigate and actual mech for controlling direction or locking is missing! 15 mins trying to fix that ,give up and find a 10mm spanner which is pathetically small for the job at hand. Eventually get them off only to establish that rather than have the electrical connection handy and close to the wing mirror it is infact hidden deep inside the door panelling... Get book out to see how to remove for trim.. . I had to reattach some of the trim back to its panelling before I could put the door back together ... Find the duck tape to stick the wiring to the back of the inside of the door itself (both clips , new and old, are broken) more duck tape to reseal the waterproofing for the inside of the door (yeah, I'm not relying on that on the other doors I can tell you) And so on . I quit when I got to the roof wide double led strip lights which had fallen off on one side whilst I'd been driving home on Wednesday . It needs a large Allen key of all things to get the remaining nut undone, so that we can get another one to match it .
Enough was enough . I checked the windows still worked . The wing mirror worked and the car still locks. All sorted

This sounds like my afternoon . Needed to do work on my 4x4. It's a bit of a joke really given the size of the thing. I need ladders just to teach the middle of the bonnet.. .

Anyhow we bought the vehicle with a wobbly glass in the passenger wing mirror. I'd long ago fallen out with it when it fell out with my hubby. Literally. He had to stop and go and retrieve the mirror and mechanism . I managed to source a caravan towing mirror and get that fitted. Downside is that you can't put the window all the way down with that on because you can't control which side of the little thing that slots into the window slot the window goes when you put it up. And it had to be the outside. So I set about calling with little problems that have come to light since removing the spare wheel, now living in the boot so I can actually use the boot. Another story. Sort those our and decide is only 3pm I'll do the wing mirror. Cute one problem after the other. Prise off necessary bits ,cute problem 1. Need the socket set to undo the nuts (?) that are hidden behind it. I was expecting very large diameter screws for some reason , get socket set from garage and it doesn't work. Spins freely . Investigate and actual mech for controlling direction or locking is missing! 15 mins trying to fix that ,give up and find a 10mm spanner which is pathetically small for the job at hand. Eventually get them off only to establish that rather than have the electrical connection handy and close to the wing mirror it is infact hidden deep inside the door panelling... Get book out to see how to remove for trim.. . I had to reattach some of the trim back to its panelling before I could put the door back together ... Find the duck tape to stick the wiring to the back of the inside of the door itself (both clips , new and old, are broken) more duck tape to reseal the waterproofing for the inside of the door (yeah, I'm not relying on that on the other doors I can tell you) And so on . I quit when I got to the roof wide double led strip lights which had fallen off on one side whilst I'd been driving home on Wednesday . It needs a large Allen key of all things to get the remaining nut undone, so that we can get another one to match it .
Enough was enough . I checked the windows still worked . The wing mirror worked and the car still locks. All sorted
Lol, a chick that works on cars, my kinda chick,lol. My wife can't pull the bonnet latch.

Russ

Lol, a chick that works on cars, my kinda chick,lol. My wife can't pull the bonnet latch.

Russ
My landcruiser is seriously challenging me with the dimensions of it .I actually car barely reach the bonnet when it's up and as for reaching the vents at the middle base of the windscreen , (I parked it up under a fir tree just before going into hospital last June. 6 months under it in storms and the likes had filled the vents with coarse fir "leaves") that's step ladders just to climb into the bonnet (don't tell my hubby I'm not meant to be climbing because of me falling etc) and then I can consider the work... But I am much more limited now as to what I can do . I can't manage to change a wheel anymore (even on our SUV) just because the wheel is too heavy and my back and neck injuries just don't permit it. I find that desperately frustrating tbh. But then I'm wheelchair bound for much of my time out of the house so I can only take on the smaller jobs now such as swapping out wing mirrors, sorting water pipes, sorting electrics etc .

My landcruiser is seriously challenging me with the dimensions of it .I actually car barely reach the bonnet when it's up and as for reaching the vents at the middle base of the windscreen , (I parked it up under a fir tree just before going into hospital last June. 6 months under it in storms and the likes had filled the vents with coarse fir "leaves") that's step ladders just to climb into the bonnet (don't tell my hubby I'm not meant to be climbing because of me falling etc) and then I can consider the work... But I am much more limited now as to what I can do . I can't manage to change a wheel anymore (even on our SUV) just because the wheel is too heavy and my back and neck injuries just don't permit it. I find that desperately frustrating tbh. But then I'm wheelchair bound for much of my time out of the house so I can only take on the smaller jobs now such as swapping out wing mirrors, sorting water pipes, sorting electrics etc .

Your can do a lot more than I can then!

Your can do a lot more than I can then!
Back when I was a teenager ,I could do an oil filter change of I had to . But vehicles were much simpler and easier to fix them . I guess it is why I like my 21 yr old vehicle much more than the 8 yr old one. I can do more on it and don't need a mechanical degree just to take the door lining off or get under the dash board, but my background in IT helps . To me, everything is logical . Newer vehicles don't fall under that criteria.

Whizz then add cheese and garlic salt n pepper. Then drizzle virgin oil in. I will report back later as I have a pile of sammys to make for my d.i.l. Her granddad passed away yesterday.

Russ
Sorry to hear it.
I would toast the pine nuts, as well. Alternately, you can use pistachios or walnuts. Some folks swear the best and only way is to use a mortar and pestle to make pesto. Whizzing is good.

Sorry to hear it.
I would toast the pine nuts, as well. Alternately, you can use pistachios or walnuts. Some folks swear the best and only way is to use a mortar and pestle to make pesto. Whizzing is good.

Still raining here so maybe tomorrow ?

Russ

Back
Top Bottom