Batch Recipes

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
6:34 PM
One of the cookbooks I have has a section on “batch recipes” - sort of a master/main recipe, and then a couple of other recipes that use the main recipe as an ingredient.

For example, yesterday morning, we had strawberry-date steel-cut oats for breakfast, and today, I’m using some of the leftovers as an ingredient in strawberry-almond muffins.

Note, this wouldn’t quite be the same (to me, anyway) as, say, making a sauce, and then using the sauce to dress pasta one night and to accompany meat the following night. This is more along the lines of making a standalone dish, and then using that as an ingredient in something else.

Do any of you make use of batch recipes in your cooking?

meatballs1.jpg
meatball parm.jpg

meatloafsupper001.jpeg
meatloafsupper003.jpeg

Yup, when I make up the meat mixture for Meatballs, there's always enough for a sheet pan full of Meatballs and a small Meatloaf for two.
The Meatballs are individually frozen and bagged up for later use.

The two BBQ sauces I use (one vinegar based and the other a sweet ) they get combined with a few other ingredients to make the blackberry BBQ sauce for cupcake chix thighs.

Sure do. We usually make extra meatballs as well. I'll cook extra roast chicken for another meal. If I'm going to the trouble of making beef stock (don't really like commercially made), I'll make a big pot of it, portion and freeze. Same with something like pho broth or our base fresh tomato sauce, etc. We'll make a good size Cuban pork roast and use that for sandwiches or SW egg rolls. Etc.

Last edited:
I don't think I do, no except perhaps my vegan cashew cheese sauce.

The original recipe comes from a vegan macaroni recipe but we've found that it works well with pasta, rice, over cauliflower or broccoli, sprouts etc and in a vegetable lasagne. And because the recipe makes a quantity that doesn't process well in my Vitamix, I always double the recipe, take 1 double portion out and divide the test into 3 or 4 hummus tubs (double serving per tub) and freeze the rest for defrosting as and when.

Yeah, I haven't before much, but I expect a bumper crop of tomatoes this year (we have tomato plants growing like crazy and tons of flowers plus a few green ones on the plants), so I will probably do a bunch of roasted tomatoes to turn into puree and freeze. Good thing, because canned ones have gotten more expensive.

If I'm cooking pancakes or Yorkshire puddings I occasionally make surplus batter and use it for coating fish for deep frying the next day.

I cannot think of any other "batch" cooking that I do although my wife eats soft boiled eggs a lot. I may cook extra for use in other dishes, e.g. egg and potato dum.

When I make pakoras, vadas or samosas, I make a load at the same time.
Same goes for ravioli/tortellini, the principle being, if I´m going through the complication of making pasta, kneading, resting, rolling out - I might as well make a load and freeze it.

When I make pakoras, vadas or samosas, I make a load at the same time.
Same goes for ravioli/tortellini, the principle being, if I´m going through the complication of making pasta, kneading, resting, rolling out - I might as well make a load and freeze it.

Samosas - I (and my wife) make around 20 - 25 at a time. I cook the innards; my wife makes them into spring rolls (she's better at that than triangles). They are frozen in batches of 4 or 5 to be deep fried later.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom