Beef Brisket.

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
9:05 AM
Has any ever cooked this cut of beef before?

I'd love to try it, but I heard that it must be cooked & smoked low & slow. about 14 hours or so. :wink:

That would depend on what part of the brisket you're dealing with. Most of the time grocery stores here will offer part of the flat. A whole packer brisket includes the whole flat and deckle (point) and can weigh 18 + pounds. I don't smoke brisket anymore because Karen doesn't like it. There are two schools in competition "Q" about brisket low and slow (225 to 275F) and hot and fast (350 to 375F), I have seen both methods place high in competition. Brisket is also a favorite cut of Jewish folks for holidays, where it is done in the oven.

https://heygrillhey.com/texas-style-smoked-beef-brisket/

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/04/jewish-braised-brisket-recipe.html

A favorite cut for California "Q", Santa Rosa style, is tri-tip.

Last edited:
Alternately, you might grind it up, and make burgers, i.e.

Tyler Florence's Ultimate Beef Brisket Burgers, with caramelized onions, herbed horseradish mayo, sautéed mushrooms, Swiss Cheese, bacon & tomatoes.

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/the-burger-bar-tyler-florence-173585

My Grandmother cooked it in the oven with carrots, onions and potatoes. The rest was used in sandwiches, etc.

Here's a vid from the undisputed world-renowned master of bbq, Chef Kevin Bludso, showing you how to do it.
He says that this cut of beef is very tough, so you have to baby it & cook it that way in order to help break down those tough fibers & connective tissues, & tame the meat so that there is far less chewing to do & more enjoyable eating pleasure!! :wink::hungry:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo6ai4OgJRY

Last edited:
Chef Kevin Bludso..jpg 2.jpg

Here's a pic of him. He's a big man who has been doing Texas-style bbq ever since he was a little boy, living & working in Texas with his tough-as-nails grandmother in Texas. She would get him up at 5 in the morning to help her. He didn't like it but he had to stay with her so that he would not associate with the wrong crowd & get into trouble. His mom would have him go there on occasion.

He did not want to become a bbq chef back then, but it made him, what he is today. A well-respected person who began his own business & loves every minute of it! He also appears on occasion in eps of Paramont TV's Bar Rescue, working with John Taffer. :wink:

Last edited:
Want one of THESE, but a brisket takes much longer to cook!

The cut comes from the animal's chest area, which gets a lot of action when he walks or runs! :wink:

Attachments

• Stove Kettle Smoker..jpg
    Stove Kettle Smoker..jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 286
If you've ever boiled a corned beef for St Patty's day in America,, you've made a brisket.

The past few years, when corned beef goes on sale around St Pat's, I like to buy an extra one, soak it to remove some of the salt, then rub it in pepper and smoke it then steam it again to make pastrami.

Alternately, you might grind it up, and make burgers
Michael Symon's restaurant (B Spot) serves a burger that's 60% Chuck, 30% Sirloin, and 10% brisket. It's my favorite restaurant burger. So, I decided to make my own blend that was 40% chuck, 40% sirloin, and 20% brisket, and it was incredible. There's such a BEEF flavor that comes through from the brisket.

I've also cooked brisket in the pressure cooker, and it turned out really well. I wish I had the time to do a low and slow cook!

If you've ever boiled a corned beef for St Patty's day in America,, you've made a brisket.

The past few years, when corned beef goes on sale around St Pat's, I like to buy an extra one, soak it to remove some of the salt, then rub it in pepper and smoke it then steam it again to make pastrami.
There's a huge variation in quality when it comes to brisket, particularly around St. Patrick's day. Kroger has them for $3/pound, which should be enough to tell you that it's not great (I had to learn that the hard way). The brisket I bought from the butcher was just south of $10/pound, and it was worth every penny, even though a big chunk of it was fat.

Yeah, but I want to try it as being dry cooked & tasting the way that it is roasted or smoked to get that real down-home Texas-style flavor. The kind that everyone raves about when they want bbq. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom