Beef Carpaccio

CraigC

Guru
Local time
8:53 AM
I really like this dish, thin slices of raw beef tenderloin done 2 separate ways depending on what we want that night. Marinated with a little bit of Worcestershire, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper, placed on a bed of arugula (marinade dripping off acts as dressing) with shave ParmR on top. The other way is thin slices of plain tenderloin on a plate, topped with a drizzle of EVOO and a homemade garlic aioli with some tiny capers sprinkled around, with a mound of lightly dressed (EVOO and balsamic, S and P) on top with some Parm crackers.

Do any of you partake?:bravo:

2019-09-21-18-18-48-jpg.jpg

I love it if it´s well made. I first ate it at Harry´s Bar, in Venice, where it was invented by Giuseppe Cipriani. Bloody expensive, but we were on our 2nd honeymoon, never mind.
The original version was made with shell of beef (which I believe is bone in strip steak), finely sliced, and criss-crossed with Harry´s special mayonnaise. It´s called "Carpaccio" after the renaissance painter Vittore Carpaccio - who used to paint in reds and whites.
The meat needs to be sliced really thin and, to be honest, there´s no need for any other condiment except the mayo. Still, I´ve eaten it with sliced raw mushrooms on top, with pesto, slathered in all sorts of wierd and wonderful stuff...but the simplicity of the original is easily the best version.

I sneak some every once and a while when I am cutting tenderloin at work..I just like a bit of salt and pepper on mine..

I love it if it´s well made. I first ate it at Harry´s Bar, in Venice, where it was invented by Giuseppe Cipriani. Bloody expensive, but we were on our 2nd honeymoon, never mind.
The original version was made with shell of beef (which I believe is bone in strip steak), finely sliced, and criss-crossed with Harry´s special mayonnaise. It´s called "Carpaccio" after the renaissance painter Vittore Carpaccio - who used to paint in reds and whites.
The meat needs to be sliced really thin and, to be honest, there´s no need for any other condiment except the mayo. Still, I´ve eaten it with sliced raw mushrooms on top, with pesto, slathered in all sorts of wierd and wonderful stuff...but the simplicity of the original is easily the best version.

Never made it to Harry's bar, but we've eaten at Cipriani's. Didn't have Carpaccio though. I think the best meal we had was in Stresa at a small place which we believe was the owners home.

I think the food at some of the rest stops (Autogrills) on their H-Ways Puts some of the Italian restaurants here to shame! You can see the Chefs cooking when you enter them.

It was expensive then, but I believe it´s even more so now.
Also famous for inventing the Bellini!

Try Cipriani's Oro in the Hotel Cipriani on the isle of Giudecca. Since we had reservations for dinner, they picked is up in Venice in a private teak launch that would hold 6-8 people comfortably down below in a luxurious cabin, but we had it all to ourselves, for the trip over to the island. A majority of people dining there were dripping in jewels like most of us have only seen in movies.

Back
Top Bottom