Recipe Beef, Guinness® And Mushroom Pot Pies

classic33

Legendary Member
Local time
1:59 PM
potpies.jpg

“When one reads these strange pages of one long gone one feels that one is at one with one who once…”
James Joyce, Ulysses

Ingredients
800 g (1 lb 12 oz) braising beef, such as chuck, cut into 21/2 cm (1 inch) cubes
2 tablespoons plain (all-purpose) flour
60 ml (2 fl oz/1/4 cup) olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
400 g (14 oz) button mushrooms, stems removed
300 ml (101/2 fl oz) beef stock
250 ml (9 fl oz/1 cup) Guinness
2 teaspoons tomato paste (concentrated purée)
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
375 g (13 oz) block ready-made butter puff pastry, thawed
1 egg, lightly beaten

Method
  • Preheat oven to 200ºC (400ºF/Gas 6).
  • Place the beef and flour in a bowl, season with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Heat a little oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the beef, in batches, and cook until browned on all sides. Remove from pan and set aside
  • Heat the remaining oil in the pan. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes or until softened. Add the mushroom and cook for 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Add the beef, stock, Guinness, tomato paste, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce to the pan, bring to the boil, then reduce heat to very low, cover and simmer for 60 minutes or until beef is fork tender. Divide among six 12 cm (41/2 inch), 400 ml (14 fl oz) capacity ramekins or ovenproof bowls and cool for 20 minutes.
  • Roll out the pastry to 5 mm (14 inch) thick and cut into 6 squares to fit over the bowls. Brush the rims of the bowls with a little beaten egg, lay the pastry over and press to seal. Make a small slash in the pastry with a knife and brush with a little more beaten egg. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden and puffed.

http://www.jenniferjoyce.co.uk/blog/?p=1120

Beautiful. Was the Guinness you used the pub draught or equivalent? The export stout is more bitter, but I think this must be meant to pull in the richness of the classic stout. I plan to make this recipe, and I'm glad that Guinness typically comes in a packs of 4 (for widget cans) or 6 (for bottles), since I'd need to make sure that there's enough to make the recipe. :cheers:

Guinness used is from a bottle. If you can get the draught version sold in pubs, use that. The Draught in cans doesn't come close, personal opinion there.

My Guinness, My Goodness! This looks like it could be very similar to my favorite Beef, Mushroom & Guinness Pie, which is a star offering at our local-ish Irish pub. Since it's a 25 mile one-way trip, I've been looking for something comparable to make at home. Like Late Night Gourmet, I'll need to be sure to make this before all the bottles disappear from the six-pack. Not something I can blame on my hubby, either, since he's a Smithwick's man.

By the way, are those sprinkles of poppy seed dotting the crust?

It looks like poppy seeds! I dug around a bit on the Meals in Heels blog where a similar recipe/photo originally appears, but the author doesn't refer to them there either. My guess is that she or the food photographer used them to pretty up the photo (it was photographed by professional food photographer Mowie Kay).

Last edited by a moderator:
My Guinness, My Goodness! This looks like it could be very similar to my favorite Beef, Mushroom & Guinness Pie, which is a star offering at our local-ish Irish pub. Since it's a 25 mile one-way trip, I've been looking for something comparable to make at home. Like Late Night Gourmet, I'll need to be sure to make this before all the bottles disappear from the six-pack. Not something I can blame on my hubby, either, since he's a Smithwick's man.

Lynne Guinne likes Guinness? That's hardly a coincidence! :cheers:

It looks like poppy seeds! I dug around a bit on the Meals in Heels blog where a similar recipe/photo originally appears, but the author doesn't refer to them there either. My guess is that she or the food photographer used them to pretty up the photo (it was photographed by professional food photographer Mowie Kay).
Note: it's not the original recipe above.

Last edited:
The recipe is from her book Meals in Heels isn't it?

Mind you, there are many recipes for Guinness and beef pies out there!
This copy was sourced from the site linked to because I'm fed up of "it's similar/identical to this one, link inserted" when I use a relatives recipe.
Only availble on paper and from the last century. Predates the above copy.

Last edited:
This copy was sourced from the site linked to because I'm fed up of "it's similar/identical to this one, link inserted" when I use a relatives recipe.
Only availble on paper and from the last century. Predates the above copy.
It would be fascinating to see the differences. What date is your relatives recipe?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom