Recipe Beef Rouladen (my way)

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
4:36 AM
Auf Deutsch man sagt "Rindfleisch Rouladen."

I was spurred on by the recent thread on German food and the thought about how I haven't had Rouladen in such a long time. And it culminated in my cooking it up myself, instead of going out to a German restaurant.

BeefRouladen00.png

My ingredients include some things that those who have made Rouladen before might find interesting ...

BR_Ingredients.png

The Grand Marnier Cognac-Orange Liqueur is probably the most markedly different ingredient and this is something that I like to use as a cooking flavor agent and have done a Flambé with it in the past. Care must be taken not to drench or soak the food with this, but to only add enough to flavor. Also note that some people are not able to taste it in food. Others do. Now you might consider Jägermeister , but I have never used this in cooking, German food or otherwise.

PROCEDURE:

1) Boil up about 1/4 cup of Rice and steam off excess water.

2) Julienne cut the carrots and radishes.

3) Cross cut the scallions.

4) Lay out the Round Steak slice(s). You may need 2 or more slices depending up the width of the slices you have. If you do, lay them side by side and slightly overlapping.

5) Spread Mustard at one end and top with Horseradish. Then cover with some carrots, radishes and scallions.

BeefRouladen01.png

6) Lay 3 or 4 strips of bacon long ways on top. Lightly drip some Grand Marnier over all. Do not go crazy with this or it won't taste good.

7) Roll from the bottom up, being careful that the bacon stays in place as you roll and that content doesn't get squeezed out the sides.

8) Place each roll in a baking dish or pan that will catches juices and fat to be used in making gravy. Lightly cover each roll with a little more Grand Marnier.

BeefRouladen02.png

9) Oven cook until the meat is browned.

10) Remove from the oven and remove each Rouladen roll to a plate.

11) Add Thyme, Marjoram and diced Chili Pepper to the juices in the pan and stir them in. I used Habanero in this case.

12) Add a tablespoon of sour cream to the juices in the pan and stir in till fully dissolved.

13) Add about 1/4 cup of Dark Rye Flour and stir in till creamy.

14) Heat the Gravy and the Rice, separately of course.

15) Add the rice to the plate and cover the Rouladen and Rice with Gravy.

16) Add some Extra Sour Rye Bread, Some Emmental Cheese and a salad.

17) Serve with a goblet, half filled with Grand Marnier Cognac.

BeefRouladen00.png

Genießen Sie dieses Rezept und sei glücklich!

Last edited:
To me at least this is an unusual recipe. I like the idea of using Grand Marnier! I am curious about how the filling is, once cooked. Are the vegetables cooked through or still crunchy? Also - I'm assuming that the bacon strips are pre-cooked.

Oven cook until the meat is browned.
Approx. how long would that be and at what temperature?

To me at least this is an unusual recipe. I like the idea of using Grand Marnier! I am curious about how the filling is, once cooked. Are the vegetables cooked through or still crunchy? Also - I'm assuming that the bacon strips are pre-cooked.

Of course the Bacon strips are pre-fried. You could put in raw strips, but my feel for it was that this would affect the gravy and overall flavor too much. For my cooking method, using a micro-wave oven, the vegetables were well cooked.

Approx. how long would that be and at what temperature?

I had to experiment as this was the first time I have made Rouladen. I first cooked in the microwave (900 watt) at high temp for 3 minutes, checked results and then went a further 4 minutes. The results were well browned and noticeably shrank from their original size. My thoughts were that the time could have been less, but I was very pleased with the results as the Rouladen was nicely done and had an appealing texture as well as flavor. The vegetables were all well cooked and softened. I got plenty of juice for the gravy as the photos attest. I trust microwave cooking for things like this, although I would not bake things that have home made bread or crusts that use yeast to rise, like pizza doughs or meat pies. I'd go conventional oven on those things.

You microwaved the Rouladen? :eek:

A microwave is an extremely versatile beast, if you know it well enough and don't just use it to zap things. Yes, I cooked the Rouladen rolls in the Microwave, the Rice in a pot of water on a NuWave induction cooker and heated the gravy in the microwave. It works fine. And it's damn quick.

As I said, the things I wouldn't microwave are bready doughs. But we can add broiling, barbecuing and anything large that you would need heat from all directions, top, sides and bottom, like a turkey or large roast. Especially things that you need heat from the bottom, like a pizza or baked goods. A microwave won't work on those things. The Rouladen are small enough and in that Pyrex pan I used, get heat from all directions.

Last edited:
A microwave is an extremely versatile beast, if you know it well enough and don't just use it to zap things.

I totally agree and I started a thread about them a while ago. They are an underused piece of kitchen equipment. But I have found that meat just doesn't do well (just my experience). It seems to toughen up very easily and quickly.

But I have found that meat just doesn't do well (just my experience). It seems to toughen up very easily and quickly.

Yes. Good of you to mention that. Micro waves tend to steam out moisture very aptly. This can be good or bad. Good, if you want to increase crispiness and bad if you want to retain juiciness. But can you find ways to retain juiciness? There are ways to do this.

1) You can consider applying the microwave in short bursts and in between, do what you would do in a conventional oven - baste.
2) You can use microwave safe covers to hold in the moisture.
3) You can use food itself as a cover to hold in moisture - consider for example, gravies.

Brainstorm this ... can you steam food in a microwave?

But I have found that meat just doesn't do well (just my experience). It seems to toughen up very easily and quickly.

For yourself and others who have encountered this problem, I have found an internet article that you might find helpful.

https://food-hacks.wonderhowto.com/...ter-tasting-food-from-your-microwave-0150772/

10 tricks for better tasting food from your microwave. I would not say that this article is exhaustive either. Think about and brainstorm and you'll find ways to keep in that moisture.

BTW: I used the wet paper towel technique for my Rouladen.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom