Beef Tagine

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
6:10 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
It turns out that Tagine is both the name of the cooking vessel, and the name of the dish. This made my research into different recipes confusing. I was mostly looking for the best way to use the cooking vessel, but I found a vast range of different things to put in it. So, as I often do, I ended up with something of my own. I wanted to make a lamb tagine, but I couldn't find lamb at any of the places I looked. Next time, I'm going straight to a butcher. So, I bought sirloin, trimmed it down, and went from there.

But, in my efforts to find the right meat, I forgot to get onion. So. I substituted garlic. I know they don't have the exact same flavor profile, but I figured it'd be good. I was right. The white bits you see in the picture, however, are kohlrabi, which I decided to throw into the mix along with carrots, dates, and raisins. It's a surprising sweet/savory combo that's full of flavor. I trimmed every scrap of fat from the meat, and then skimmed the surface after it cooled to make for a very lean stew. The meat is incredible by itself, even cold.

But, it wasn't all smooth sailing. I knew right away that I bought too much meat (3 pounds before trimming) to fit in the tagine. I considered putting half of it away, or possibly cooking half at a time in the tagine. I eventually decided to cook the whole thing together in a ceramic casserole pan in the oven for part of the time, then finish it in the tagine on the stove (which is when I added the dates and raisins). Next time, I think I'll just have to either make a half-sized recipe, or go ahead and set aside an extra 90 minutes so I can cook the whole thing in the tagine.

I'm still putting the recipe together. I will update to include it when I do. Recipe now added here: Beef Tagine

IMG_0720.JPG

Here's the finished product in a bowl. I'd like to talk a bit about the quinoa. I've never liked quinoa: I think it tastes like little pellets, and it's a distant third among grains in my opinion (well behind farro and rice). But, it seemed appropriate, so I made some. I decided to wake it up with shredded mint leaves, lemon zest, and lemon juice....and I actually like it! I do plan to make some Moroccan flat bread to have with it, but I need to get some fresh parsley...and onion.

IMG_0721.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks great, LNG.

How big is your tagine, and how many servings do you think that you got out of it.
I've been looking for a large tagine. I's seen a number of them and especially like the Le Crueset one, but it is too small.

That looks great, LNG.

How big is your tagine, and how many servings do you think that you got out of it.
I've been looking for a large tagine. I's seen a number of them and especially like the Le Crueset one, but it is too small.
This tagine is too small for the recipe I made, by about half. I always make things large batch, since I want all that work to last me a while. This was 10 inches across:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FY2BEVM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm otherwise happy with it, but disappointed that I either have to scale back my recipe or work in batches.

I'd like to talk a bit about the quinoa.
This is looking good. Its a shame that lamb is so difficult to find in the USA. I can get it any time in supermarkets here.

I don't think quinoa is traditional with tagine but I can see that it would work - it should be cous-cous, really! But my main thought is, 'where is the harissa....'? :D

Lamb isn't difficult to obtain here. We have our choice on any given day of American, Aussie/New Zealand, and even Canadian lamb on most days. You can buy loin and rib chops, shoulder chops, neck cuts, and bone in and semi-boneless legs.

It does occasionally sell out, though.

It turns out that Tagine is both the name of the cooking vessel, and the name of the dish. This made my research into different recipes confusing. I was mostly looking for the best way to use the cooking vessel, but I found a vast range of different things to put in it. So, as I often do, I ended up with something of my own. I wanted to make a lamb tagine, but I couldn't find lamb at any of the places I looked. Next time, I'm going straight to a butcher. So, I bought sirloin, trimmed it down, and went from there.

But, in my efforts to find the right meat, I forgot to get onion. So. I substituted garlic. I know they don't have the exact same flavor profile, but I figured it'd be good. I was right. The white bits you see in the picture, however, are kohlrabi, which I decided to throw into the mix along with carrots, dates, and raisins. It's a surprising sweet/savory combo that's full of flavor. I trimmed every scrap of fat from the meat, and then skimmed the surface after it cooled to make for a very lean stew. The meat is incredible by itself, even cold.

But, it wasn't all smooth sailing. I knew right away that I bought too much meat (3 pounds before trimming) to fit in the tagine. I considered putting half of it away, or possibly cooking half at a time in the tagine. I eventually decided to cook the whole thing together in a ceramic casserole pan in the oven for part of the time, then finish it in the tagine on the stove (which is when I added the dates and raisins). Next time, I think I'll just have to either make a half-sized recipe, or go ahead and set aside an extra 90 minutes so I can cook the whole thing in the tagine.

I'm still putting the recipe together. I will update to include it when I do.

View attachment 6693
Here's the finished product in a bowl. I'd like to talk a bit about the quinoa. I've never liked quinoa: I think it tastes like little pellets, and it's a distant third among grains in my opinion (well behind farro and rice). But, it seemed appropriate, so I made some. I decided to wake it up with shredded mint leaves, lemon zest, and lemon juice....and I actually like it! I do plan to make some Moroccan flat bread to have with it, but I need to get some fresh parsley...and onion.

View attachment 6694

Looks DELISH!!! :wink:

Lamb isn't difficult to obtain here. We have our choice on any given day of American, Aussie/New Zealand, and even Canadian lamb on most days. You can buy loin and rib chops, shoulder chops, neck cuts, and bone in and semi-boneless legs.

It does occasionally sell out, though.

I suppose it depends in which part of America you live? I'd heard it was expensive too.

LNG, you have to be able to get lamb if you live near Detroit. There's a large Middle Eastern population there.

But yes, certain cuts are a little more pricier than beef.

LNG, you have to be able to get lamb if you live near Detroit. There's a large Middle Eastern population there.

But yes, certain cuts are a little more pricier than beef.
I have to remember to plan better when it comes to certain ingredients. I'm used to being able to buy almost everything I need at the local supermarket, which I now know doesn't have lamb. Even an upscale market near my house didn't have it. I actually work in Dearborn, which has the largest middle eastern population outside of the Middle East, so a little bit of planning could have solved this. Next time, I will use lamb. :)

This is looking good. Its a shame that lamb is so difficult to find in the USA. I can get it any time in supermarkets here.

I don't think quinoa is traditional with tagine but I can see that it would work - it should be cous-cous, really! But my main thought is, 'where is the harissa....'? :D
Well...it's my first tagine. After I was done. I noticed another recipe that used dried apricot. And, harissa is certainly a big part in North African cuisine. I almost feel like I did when I first got serious about cooking: this cuisine is a new thing for me, so I have a lot to learn. I did make an awesome Tunisian Flatbread (I'll post pics and recipe for that when I have a chance). :)

Well...it's my first tagine. After I was done. I noticed another recipe that used dried apricot. And, harissa is certainly a big part in North African cuisine. I almost feel like I did when I first got serious about cooking: this cuisine is a new thing for me, so I have a lot to learn. I did make an awesome Tunisian Flatbread (I'll post pics and recipe for that when I have a chance). :)

If this your first tagine then :bravo:! I'd love to see pictures of the flatbread too. I love tagines (although I don't cook them in a 'tagine'.

Pickled lemons are another fabulous ingredient. Have you come across them? I know you are interested in pickles so I think if you haven't made your own pickled lemons then there is a project for you! They are so delicious and fantastic added to a tagine.

If this your first tagine then :bravo:! I'd love to see pictures of the flatbread too. I love tagines (although I don't cook them in a 'tagine'.

Pickled lemons are another fabulous ingredient. Have you come across them? I know you are interested in pickles so I think if you haven't made your own pickled lemons then there is a project for you! They are so delicious and fantastic added to a tagine.
Thanks...and, funny, but I've gotten to the point where hearing the name of something I've never made before automatically triggers an I need to make this response. I know I can get pickled lemons (which I've also heard called preserved lemons) at certain stores. but considering how much pickling I do, I'd have to say that I consider this a challenge I'm willing to meet. :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom