Recipe Beer Brined Pork Chops

CraigC

Guru
Local time
5:52 AM
Ingredients
2 cups water
2 cups dark lager beer
1/4 cup salt - I haven't been using as much salt last couple of times, maybe just over half of the 1/4 cup
3 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
3 tablespoons molasses
1 cup ice cubes
6 - 1 to 1-1/4" thick pork chops preferably bone-in, but we've also done w/o bone too
7 large garlic cloves, minced
3 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
2 tsp salt
2 tsp dried sage leaves

Directions
1) Combine water, beer, 1/4 (or less) salt, sugar, and molasses in large bowl or bag. Stir/shake until sugar and salt are dissolved.
2) Add ice and pork chops making sure they are covered. Refrigerate 4 hours turning occasionally.
3) Prepare grill with banking coals to one side to create a two zone fire.
4) Remove pork chops from brine and pat dry.
5) Grill pork chops until instant read thermometer measures 145-150, about 10 minutes per side, moving to cooler spot occasionally if they start to burn.
6) Transfer chops to platter, tent with foil, let stand for 5 minutes and serve.

This part is optional and they are good with or without this. Mix 2 tsp garlic powder, 3 tsp black pepper, 2 tsp salt, 2 tsp sage and rub in mixture over both sides of each chop.

We've been trying to cut down on salt so they've started tasting a little salty to us if I use the whole amount so that's why I cut down. These are some of the best pork chops I've ever had. They can even be reheated in the microwave as leftovers and are still moist.

The next time we make these, using the BGE, I'm going to use the reverse sear method.

Last edited:
Brining is a good technique - I was chatting to a rather good high end chef not long ago (I'd just eaten in his restaurant). I asked him how he had cooked the hake. It was seriously the most delicious hake I've ever tasted! He said he brined it before cooking and that he was a great fan of brining both meat and fish.

1 cup ice cups
What are these?

Brining is a good technique - I was chatting to a rather good high end chef not long ago (I'd just eaten in his restaurant). I asked him how he had cooked the hake. It was seriously the most delicious hake I've ever tasted! He said he brined it before cooking and that he was a great fan of brining both meat and fish.

What are these?
Cubes! I've corrected the recipe.

Back
Top Bottom