Recipe Beetroot Pickled Eggs

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
1:47 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
@alexander has asked me for the recipe for the Pickled Eggs that I posted elsewhere. So here is my modified recipe, taken from here. I found that adding the beetroot water from the cooking, whilst increasing the colour, diluted the pickled effect for us, and next time around will not use the same quantities. I expect I will try 375ml of apple cider vinegar and 125ml beetroot cooking water. Also, steaming the eggs, whilst it felt unnatural, resulted in far fewer cracked shells than boiling the eggs in water. However, cracked shells are probably not that much of an issue given that you are peeling the eggs anyhow!

IMG_7048.JPG

Ingredients
  • 6 eggs (uncooked)
  • 1 uncooked beetroot, chopped into 1cm cubes
  • 250ml beetroot cooking water (or more apple cider vinegar)
  • 250ml apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4 onion, sliced thinly
  • 65g light brown sugar
  • 3 green cardamom pods
  • 1 star anise
Method
  1. Cook the beetroot for around 30-40 minutes in as little amount of water as possible. Retain the water and allow the beetroot to cool slightly.
  2. Whilst the beetroot is cooking, steam the eggs for around 20 minutes, before placing in cold water and allowing to go cold.
  3. Next, peel the hard boiled eggs and place them in the bottom of an airtight jar. If you can't get all 6 eggs in one jar, go for 2 and add a few more beetroot pieces or more apple cider vinegar if needed.
  4. In a saucepan, add the apple cider vinegar, beetroot juice (if using), onion and sugar with the cardamon pods and the star anise. Bring to the boil and simmer for around 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
  5. Put the mixture through a sieve (optional).
  6. Pour the apple cider vinegar mixture over the eggs. (Adding some of the beetroot pieces and onion slices pushing them in between the eggs will help enhance both the colour and flavour and also give you some pickled beetroot and onion in the process. I also added the cooked spices as well because we like them.)
  7. Ensure that the eggs are covered completely. If not, add some more apple cider vinegar to the jar to ensure they are and mix carefully.
  8. Now simply seal the jar(s), place the eggs in the fridge once cold and leave for at least a couple of days, ideally a week for the colour and flavour to penetrate the eggs.
If you don't have access to raw beetroot, you can use pickled or canned beetroot instead and simply omit step 1, retaining any liquid for use.

Last edited:
My cheat's version of this is to buy a cheap jar of pickled beetroot and use the liquid to steep the eggs. You can add extra spices to the liquid (in which case heat it in a saucepan).
1. Buy a jar of pickled beetroot and drain the liquid into a bowl.
2. Immerse shelled hard boiled eggs in the liquid. Leave for 24 hours.

Thanks to you both for the recipes. I will do the easy option for now but can I add cardamon? Do I need to boil up the beetroot juice? I am having a little party on Christmas Eve (nibbles and cocktails) for 8 people. I think the pink eggs could be a talking point if I can think of a way of serving them up. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Thanks to you both for the recipes. I will do the easy option for now but can I add cardamon? Do I need to boil up the beetroot juice? I am having a little party on Christmas Eve (nibbles and cocktails) for 8 people. I think the pink eggs could be a talking point if I can think of a way of serving them up. Do you guys have any suggestions?

If you were to get Quail's eggs (Waitrose sell them) they would be perfect for canapes. You can pickle them just the same way. But as they are tiny, halved, they perch nicely on some smoked salmon and blinis - or just serve them whole. They can be popped whole into the mouth!

One word of warning. If you try to shell the boiled quails eggs you need the patience of a saint. The easy method is to immerse them (shell on) in cheap vinegar for 15 mins. The shells will dissolve and come off easily.

We just cut them into quarters length ways. You could then skewer the white to the yolk with a cocktail stick.
I will do the easy option for now but can I add cardamon?
Cardamon is already added. If you are using beetroot juice from pickled beetroots rather than making your own
If you don't have access to raw beetroot, you can use pickled or canned beetroot instead and simply omit step 1, retaining any liquid for use.
Do I need to boil up the beetroot juice?
yes - with the onion and the spices (and some beetroot for additional colouring). It really does not take long and is well worth it. And fresh beetroot is exceptionally nice and the thinner you slice or chop it the less time it will take to cook. I don't even bother skinning mine. I don't see the point and it saves getting your hands really beetroot coloured. And tbh, you can cook the eggs and the beetroot alongside each other to save time.

Back
Top Bottom