Recipe Besan ki Rot (Chickpea Flour Roti)

Herbie

Veteran
Local time
6:09 PM
I've been experimenting with different chickpea flour breads/pancakes, so thought I would log my attempts here :)

So, this should have wheat flour in so I replaced that with gluten-free flour. I did not add the spices as I just wanted to try and get the texture right. I didn't. It did not puff up so was just a dense, thick pancake.

1 Cup Gram Flour/Chickpea Flour (Besan)
1/2 Cup Whole Wheat Flour(Atta) – (You can use any flour of choice*)
1 Tsp Salt – As per taste
1/2 Cup Water – Keep 2-3 tbsp extra

Mix into a smooth dough
Roll into balls and flatten
Cook for a couple of minutes on each side in a skillet.

Hum, it suggests finishing off on a flame but I (annoyingly) have an electric hob. I might try again on my mum's gas hob to see if that helps.

http://www.easycookingwithmolly.com/2012/05/besan-ki-roti-gram-flour-indian-bread/

You could give it the same treatment that's used for naan bread: slap it on a hot, cast iron pan. Believe me, it will get a nice char. :)

But, if you're wondering about why the texture didn't seem right, I have to believe it's because of the gluten free flour. I made my brother a naan bread using gluten free flour, and it wasn't nearly as soft and pliable as I expect a dough with gluten in it to be. It still tasted good, because all the other flavors were there, but it wasn't quite the same.

Very interesting recipe all the same. I will definitely give it a try!

I think @The Late Night Gourmet is right about the flour. I read something by Madhur Jaffrey about finishing off roti in the microwave to get them to puff up. I must try it (not sure how long it takes) as I can't find the reference!

Back
Top Bottom