Best beef for a cottage pie

MrMajeika

Local time
1:28 AM
Want to make a cottage pie tonight. My supermarket has beef mince that is 15% fat content and also a lean one at 5%. Wondering which one is better. I know the lean one will be healthier but is there enough fat in it. Don't want it to be dry. Also do you have any tips to make it extra tasty?

Want to make a cottage pie tonight. My supermarket has beef mince that is 15% fat content and also a lean one at 5%. Wondering which one is better. I know the lean one will be healthier but is there enough fat in it. Don't want it to be dry. Also do you have any tips to make it extra tasty?

I've used both - either will work. Use extra olive oil to fry the onions if you use the low fat beef.

Tip for flavour - add Worcestershire sauce and/or a splash of soy sauce to the beef when cooking. Or a teaspoon of Marmite - that works brilliantly (it won't taste of Marmite - just a deep beefy taste).

Thanks yeah I often add Worcester sauce. I will try soy sauce too. I've seen recipes that say add mushroom ketchup for extra flavour. I actually have a jar but sometimes I think I try to add too many things when actually it's better just done simple but some well. What is your view on tomatoes. I usually just add tomato puree

Thanks yeah I often add Worcester sauce. I will try soy sauce too. I've seen recipes that say add mushroom ketchup for extra flavour. I actually have a jar but sometimes I think I try to add too many things when actually it's better just done simple but some well. What is your view on tomatoes. I usually just add tomato puree

No tomatoes - the sauce should be dark and rich so a good beef stock is best. At most a squirt of puree to perk it up. The best ready made beef stock I've found is Knorr Rich Beef Stockpot :

LN_435619_BP_11.jpg

You might find this interesting: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2010/oct/21/make-perfect-cottage-pie

I go with lean, but that's just me. Short ribs braised in red wine might be another option. There's an example at epicurious.com. You might add some Gruyere, butter and half and half to your whipped potatoes. Or, top the pie with mashed cauliflower instead, if you're going low carb.

I had something similar at a restaurant. it was topped with mashed potatoes. Didn't like it too tough. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom