Best foods for natural energy

I almost always prepare a small salad that would contain three of my most favorite like a carrot, celery, green apple, and cucumber. I cut them into small bite size and pack them into small containers and chill to last for a week. Every time I feel like hungry or want to grab something to munch on I take one pack and eat.

My midmorning snack is usually a banana or an apple, yogurt and some multigrain crackers. Other snacks I like to have include nuts - cashews, peanuts or almonds, carrots and cucumbers dipped in hummus, mixed berries and sometimes chocolate covered nuts. I like to have a snack around 10:00. I find my energy levels are waning by this point in the day and I need to eat something and drink something. My drink of choice is usually water but if I'm really tired I will have a cup of tea. It's amazing how what you eat affects how you feel. If I skip this snack or eat something high in sugar like cookies I will feel horrible and sluggish for the rest of the day.

@cupcakechef

As a mother of twin two-year-old girls, I totally understand how one may turn to coffee more often than not for that extra energy boost. Reading over the last few posts, it sounds like you have a healthy balanced day...with a few exceptions of course (as we all do). I find that when my energy levels are low and I have followed all the right foods to eat, I need to add some supplements to my diet. For instance, when I take vitamin B Complex my energy levels sky rocket, and as an added bonus my skin, hair and nails look great.

I also, start my day with a glass of water with lemon before having my first cup of coffee.

I've cut back a lot on my carbohydrate intake, especially breads (except when I've been baking, of course), and that has helped me. I'm sure your sleep is interrupted, which also can result in low energy, jumpiness, irritability, etc., so hopefully when that improves, your energy will, as well. When my chronic fatigue is acting up, I've found that it helps to bite into and eat a crisp apple. I used to keep them in the car when I traveled a lot for work, because my fatigue would act up. I usually buy the lunch bag sized ones, which are often 3/$1 at Kroger. The larger ones are usually too big for me. Another food that helps is a teaspoon of peanut butter.

Something else that helps me and doesn't involve food is to focus on how I'm breathing. I tend to be a shallow breather, and becoming more aware of my breathing and taking deeper breaths can help with oxygen flow, which can help you feel more alert.

Well I guess it can be a food or a drink....chia seeds. Most specifically Mama Chia the drink.
vitality_beverages.jpg

You can make it homemade as well, but I use this for energy often and you don't need much. I love it and it's all natural! :okay:

I love berries for a quick energy boost. Even better is berries with some raw organic granola bought in bulk. The sweet crunch is usually just what im looking for when the energy dips and it seems to work pretty fast as well.

I love berries for a quick energy boost. Even better is berries with some raw organic granola bought in bulk. The sweet crunch is usually just what im looking for when the energy dips and it seems to work pretty fast as well.
What Granola do you buy? I find its all a bit sweet for my taste.

As for me, it is more than simple. Good fish, meat, fresh vegetables, eggs and cottage cheese give a lot of energy and is good for health. I try to eat baked fish and chicken as often as I can. If you are a vegetarian, beans, nuts, fruits and vegetables can help you to stay energetic. Water balance is very important. Also, quality of food matters. Try to cook food that is bought from a trusted supplier. Sometimes it is a long process to find such a shop or supplier. Sometimes I try new places to buy food.

Last edited by a moderator:
Avocados and eggs are pretty much my staples these days. I'm on a high fat low carb diet so I get a lot of my energy from healthy fats.

Avocados and eggs are pretty much my staples these days. I'm on a high fat low carb diet so I get a lot of my energy from healthy fats.

How do you serve the eggs. I love eggs! If you are eating them without carbs do you eat them had boiled? I'd find it hard to eat a fried or poached egg without some bread or toast!

That's a pretty narrow diet. Love the principle but what else do you eat?

That's a pretty narrow diet. Love the principle but what else do you eat?
That's not all I eat. I was just saying I eat a LOT of avocados and eggs. I eat tons of veggies, salads, fish, chicken, beef, pork, cheese. And because it's a high fat diet I eat a lot of avocados, bacon, cheese, sour cream, etc. I eat more vegetables on this diet than I used to when eating high carb. Tonight I'm eating zucchini noodles, for instance.

How do you serve the eggs. I love eggs! If you are eating them without carbs do you eat them had boiled? I'd find it hard to eat a fried or poached egg without some bread or toast!

I eat eggs pretty much every way possible. Scrambled with cheeese, omelettes, egg salad, deviled eggs (my fave!) hard boiled, over easy with sausage. Also, there are some good low carb breads and occasionally I'll make a runny egg with a slice of low carb bread. But I like to take a round sausage patty and top it with an over easy egg and some cheese. It's like a breakfast sandwich without the bread. :happy:

Back
Top Bottom