Recipe Best Fried Rice Recipe?

HappilyHungry

Veteran
Local time
3:17 AM
Have you ever dabbled in the Oriental Asian culture by cooking a good fried rice?!

I just love doing so, and my attempt is always to get it to be as flavourful and as authentic as possible. My most recent attempt was actually quite good: flavourful and "on point" if my opinion and that of the "partakers" is anything to go by, lol.

It required at least 4 cups cold rice
2 1/2 tbsps canola oil
1 1/2 tbsps vegetable/sunflower oil
Seasoning (garlic, onions, escallions)
1 or 2 eggs
1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
Green peas (optional)

And, you know how it goes...

break the rice up with your hands, then put the canola oil into the pot, sautee-ing the seasoning, green peas (if added), and whatever meat kind you might have.

Then, you add the rice with the vegetable/sunflower oil, and the soy sauce, swirling it around to integrate the mixture.

Then, shove the rice to the sides of the pot, and cook the eggs in the middle.

Mix again, and all is well!

Do you have a better fried rice recipe?! I'd love to know!

Looking forward!

fried rice.jpg

My best fried rice recipe... it depends how many people will eat I just estimate my measurement... olive oil, cups of cooked rice, crushed garlic, chopped white onion, scrambled egg cut into small strips, pineapple tidbits in can (you can also use the fresh one but be sure it is not sour), chopped ham, chopped onion leeks, small amount of grated carrots and to taste i do not put salt and i use oyster sauce and a dash of white pepper. This fried rice recipe is our family's old time favorite and it is already a complete meal for us and not just a fried rice. It's delicious!

Mmmmm! I can safely say this "tastes" good, just by your description ReadmeByAmy!

I am definitely gonna try this one myself! It sounds flavorful and easy to follow! I definitely notice that the major difference between my recipe and yours is that, as you rightly said, you choose to use oyster sauce instead of soy sauce. Where do you source this by the way? I've always noticed the inclusion of oyster sauce in a number of recipes that I've attempted and had to replace it with something else. Is it that you make it yourself? Or do you have another source?
Also, I couldn't help but notice that you choose to use pineapples in your recipe! What do you think of the sweetness that this adds to the overall taste of the fried rice? Is it a good thing? Or would you attempt to have a bit more of a savory flavor? I, personally, always love a fried rice that's more savory than sweet.
Let me know your thoughts and comments! Thank you!

Looks like a pretty good fried rice, maybe missing some color? Like some carrots or some meat?

Where I'm from, a LOT of places actually cook the veg and meat first, set that aside, then they put the eggs in BEFORE the rice, which I thought was interesting. The eggs never tasted overcooked either:okay:

I struggle to get fried rice right so I'll definitely be trying your recipe! Can I ask, did you make the rice in the photo? It looks so authentic.

Looks like a pretty good fried rice, maybe missing some color? Like some carrots or some meat?

Where I'm from, a LOT of places actually cook the veg and meat first, set that aside, then they put the eggs in BEFORE the rice, which I thought was interesting. The eggs never tasted overcooked either:okay:

Wow, that really is quite interesting! "To each his own" is what I think is being used and tends to be used in most things in the kitchen, hahaa. I would love to savor that recipe myself! So, in order to do that, I'm gonna try my hand at the method you've hinted at, and see where it takes me! I think it'll be great!
I do agree that a more colorful fried rice would be lovely! I think that would help to convert it into a main-course dish, and not just a side dish. I think it would also add some visual variety, and flavor the diet itself! Thanks for the suggestion! Very helpful!
What do you usually do when you're cooking your fried rice?

I struggle to get fried rice right so I'll definitely be trying your recipe! Can I ask, did you make the rice in the photo? It looks so authentic.

Hi missbishi. I don't think I've quite yet mastered the art of making "the perfect fried rice", so I haven't yet taken a picture of it to share with you guys. I looked for a picture online of the best fried rice that I could envision, and this is what I came up with! *laugh*
I do agree with you that it does look quite authentic. I do put to you that perhaps it's as delicious as the picture makes it appear!
The recipe that I suggested to you is one that has worked for me quite well in terms of the look and flavor, but I'd really love to perfect it! I think that I'm looking for that one aspect of flavor that will boost it all up, and I think if you can find it before me, that would be great if you could pass it on as well after you've tried this recipe! It works!

Wow, that really is quite interesting! "To each his own" is what I think is being used and tends to be used in most things in the kitchen, hahaa. I would love to savor that recipe myself! So, in order to do that, I'm gonna try my hand at the method you've hinted at, and see where it takes me! I think it'll be great!
I do agree that a more colorful fried rice would be lovely! I think that would help to convert it into a main-course dish, and not just a side dish. I think it would also add some visual variety, and flavor the diet itself! Thanks for the suggestion! Very helpful!
What do you usually do when you're cooking your fried rice?

I've never tried putting the eggs in first, but what I DO do is to coat the (cold) rice with the raw eggs so that it comes out golden after frying. I'm Asian so basically fried rice is anything left in the fridge that needs to be finished off! The basics would be a protein (any meat or even fish will do), some veg (usually carrots), and eggs.

@HappilyHungry Your recipe sounds exactly like the one my ex Mother in Law used to make but I think she cooked the eggs first. I'm so glad I came across this thread because I failed to get her recipe before my ex and I split up and have really missed her fried rice. I will definitely be trying it this week .

I have a simple fried rice dish. My ingredients are butter, garlic, chicken hotdogs, beacon bits, eggs and peas. I usually used 2 to 3 cups of rice for this recipe. All I did is to mix all the ingredients and rice in butter and add some salt to taste. Viola I havd my fried rice. I eat it with ham or tocino and sausages.

Mine is quite similar to yours, it's just that I might use omit the egg and use other meats or shrimp instead. I honestly just play around with the recipe quite a lot. Rice is just one of my favourite dishes to experiment with.

Your recipe is relatively close to how I make fried rice as well. I prefer to keep it rather minimal and just use pre cooked white rice, scallions, canola oil, egg and soy sauce. I add a little oil and the scallions to the pan, to release their flavor into the oil, then I add in the rice and toss it all around to warm it through and coat it with the flavored oil. Then I push it to the side of the pan, and add in a scrambled egg - allowing it to set a bit before breaking it up with the spatula and incorporating it in with the rice. Finally I pour in a few swirls of regular Kikkoman soy sauce, give it another stir and let everything heat up a bit further. That's it, no fresh garlic, no fish sauce, no sesame oil - in fact I seldom even add peas or carrots. I may however throw in some protein such as shrimp, chicken thighs or diced pork during the cooking process though. For the chicken and the pork, I will dust them with some corn starch before cooking them.

I only use the Kikkoman soy sauce since it's the only *real* soy sauce available in my neck of the woods. All the other generic and related brands aren't real soy sauce at all, they don't properly ferment the beans, but instead use some quick chemical extraction method, then doctor the sauce up with other additives such as caramel color. I also don't bother with "low sodium" sauce since all that is is just soy sauce with fillers to dilute it. Just use 50% less of the regular soy sauce and you're getting the same lower sodium benefits without all the fillers.

Our fried rice recipe is almost the same except we don't put in green peas instead we have the Chinese sausage and bits of spring onion. We call our fried rice Murisqueta, a Spanish name that I believe is a Spanish dish (except for the Chinese sausage). Incidentally, we will have murisqueta for tomorrow morning because that's the request of my husband. And the best match for that fried rice is fried drumstick. Huh, it doesn't look like breakfast anymore.

Back
Top Bottom