Best way to 'grease' a baking tin

Recently I was making some rock cakes and just because I had seen a little too much grease on my last baking, I decided to sprinkle the pan with some flour after greasing it. I had seen it recommended some time before. At the end there was obviously no grease to be concerned about but there was a brownish/near burnish look that I didn't quite like. The baking was not ruin though

I used to use butter but it was too fiddly! So I started using low fat cooking spray which is much easier, and if I'm making cookies I just put some greaseproof paper on the baking tray first and they don't stick at all.

When I would bake cassava cake, I use butter to grease the pie pan. It is required because if there is no grease, the cake would stick to the pan and I normally use the tin foil that is easy to tear. When greasing, I get a cube of butter and apply it to the pan with my hand. There is no better way to apply butter in the tin except by hand. So what I do sometimes is to apply butter on the pans then put them in the fridge for later while I am doing the mixing of the ingredients of the cake. When done and ready to bake, all I have to do is get the pans which are ready for use.

I use oil and my fingers to oil my pans.

I do the same as @missamanda819, and run a stick of butter over the pan. I also save the butter wrappers when I use up a stick, and use them for greasing pans. @winterybella I'm so tired of hearing (from the press and so called experts, not you) about how bad lard is. I have no problem using lard, and love lard frosting, it's the best!

To apply butter sparingly, keep the foil/paper wrapper from each pack of butter, and rub that round your pan or dish.
This is exactly what I do too. I always use butter.

depends on the cake some require butter and paper some require butter and sifted flour and re buttering,some new tins don't need any thing ,
I'm not a big fan of sprays and in the late 90s when gm foods hit the scene steered well away from such products as tren wax a non stick silicone spray

I will usually use a silicone spray of some sort, but I might add a bit of butter to the pan if I really want to impart that taste, or if I am really concerned about things sticking. In the old days, they used to always recommend greasing buttering and flouring cake pans. However, I don't know that people do that too much anymore.

I have a hard time spreading butter on my baking tins because I sometimes put too much on and it is very messy. The key to using cooking spray is to hold the spray can away from the tin when spraying it so that you don't over spray. I normally take my tins outside to spray them so I don't get residue in the kitchen.

Back
Top Bottom