Better late than never, says The Late Night Gourmet

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
8:34 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
I was just looking in this sub-forum, and I realized I never introduced myself: I just dove in and started posting. So, how did I end up here? I'm a refugee from the Discuss Cooking forum. I started there, very optimistic and excited to share ideas with like-minded people, only to find that there are a few who prefer antagonizing people to actually sharing ideas. I don't want to characterize the entire forum that way: most of the people are terrific. But, those few really ruined the experience for me.

As an example of how terrific some of the members of that forum were, one of them - who you know as @buckytom - recommended this forum to me. I have to say, I couldn't be happier that he did.

I was just looking in this sub-forum, and I realized I never introduced myself: I just dove in and started posting. So, how did I end up here? I'm a refugee from the Discuss Cooking forum. I started there, very optimistic and excited to share ideas with like-minded people, only to find that there are a few who prefer antagonizing people to actually sharing ideas. I don't want to characterize the entire forum that way: most of the people are terrific. But, those few really ruined the experience for me.

As an example of how terrific some of the members of that forum were, one of them - who you know as @buckytom - recommended this forum to me. I have to say, I couldn't be happier that he did.
I'm a refuge from there too. I got called out several times there and at "food dogs" (not the actual name but a synonym) for either buying used or not using the highest end products money could buy.
That is a problem with many forums, if the "rich" give money to the site owner they can say whatever the heck they want but a non-donater say it and they will get moderated to the full extent of the site.
A knitting forum was really bad about that one once the owner realized he could get some serious money off some of the posters. There is a formerly kindle (till Amazon made them change their name) board that is the same way. Note I am no longer there since I can't trust the moderators to post what I actually said.

I am glad I found here and Mobileread for my daily fix.
*Even if here, we do have the occasional translation problem.

Do I know you from any other forums, Cin? Epicurious, DC, NCT, Chowhound, or Egullet?

Hi - yes I am also a migrant from that forum and was also recommended to this forum by buckytom (I was sad when he decided to leave that forum - he has a lively energy which I found most welcoming!). Yes I, too, encountered the antagonizers - one in particular who dissed organic food! I left because of her and I know others have done the same. However, the conflict DID enable a newbie and myself to start PMing....that was 2 years ago and we are firm online friends still!

I, too, am happy that buckytom contacted me about this forum since I much prefer it to the other one! I read on your profile that you like to make a recipe healthier....I do that with desserts (e.g. lower the sugar content) but what else do you do, i.e. with savoury dishes?

Last edited by a moderator:
Umm, ixnay with the references-ay.

I still chat at DC and have a sincere love and friendship with a number of folks there. I wear out my welcome every once in a while, lol, so I wander the vast wasteland of the internet before seeing if it's safe to return. I'm glad I've never been banned; just scolded a few times like a schoolboy. DC has gone through a lot of changes over the 13 years that I've chatted there, and it seems to only have 1 admin left who keeps order and civility, and she is goingbthrough a lot in her own life so she can't be around too often.

After the death of my father last fall, I found I have less tolerance for people who would rather be correct and argue than have a respectful discussion of ideas, with some silliness thrown in for fun.. This made me look for another forum a few months ago, and I happily found Cookingbites. A definitely more genteel community, if a bit smaller. That's OK because I'd rather a few good friends than hundreds of mere acquaintances.

Umm, ixnay with the references-ay.

I still chat at DC and have a sincere love and friendship with a number of folks there. I wear out my welcome every once in a while, lol, so I wander the vast wasteland of the internet before seeing if it's safe to return. I'm glad I've never been banned; just scolded a few times like a schoolboy. DC has gone through a lot of changes over the 13 years that I've chatted there, and it seems to only have 1 admin left who keeps order and civility, and she is goingbthrough a lot in her own life so she can't be around too often.

After the death of my father last fall, I found I have less tolerance for people who would rather be correct and argue than have a respectful discussion of ideas, with some silliness thrown in for fun.. This made me look for another forum a few months ago, and I happily found Cookingbites. A definitely more genteel community, if a bit smaller. That's OK because I'd rather a few good friends than hundreds of mere acquaintances.
Do you mean eferences-ray?
My pig Latin is a bit rusty or moldy.

I'm a refuge from there too.

I, too, am happy that buckytom contacted me about this forum since I much prefer it to the other one!

A definitely more genteel community, if a bit smaller. That's OK because I'd rather a few good friends than hundreds of mere acquaintances.

Well we are all very pleased to have you here! Its great to have some real discussions about cooking. We would like to grow a bit bigger ideally - so if any of you have friends to invite they will be most welcome. :D

Hi, Late Night Gourmet! I look forward to reading your posts.

Like buckytom, I, too, hold dual residency here and at Discuss Cooking. He's guilty of getting me involved in yet another social forum. :( Unlike bucky, I never use the same screen name from one forum to another. Anyone who paid enough attention at DC, though, can probably figure out who I am. :wink:

I've been a member at DC for nearly eight years. Although I don't enjoy when members get involved in a dust-up, I've learned to skim past those posts until a thread returns to normalcy. I guess I have the back of a duck, since I just let those angry posts roll right off.

I'm a firm believer that it takes two to tango. However, when each side has their heels completely dug in and refuses to budge an inch, those dust-ups occur. I'm of the mind that if one person stops dancing, the other has no choice but to quit the tango.

Hi, Late Night Gourmet! I look forward to reading your posts.

Like buckytom, I, too, hold dual residency here and at Discuss Cooking. He's guilty of getting me involved in yet another social forum. :( Unlike bucky, I never use the same screen name from one forum to another. Anyone who paid enough attention at DC, though, can probably figure out who I am. :wink:

I've been a member at DC for nearly eight years. Although I don't enjoy when members get involved in a dust-up, I've learned to skim past those posts until a thread returns to normalcy. I guess I have the back of a duck, since I just let those angry posts roll right off.

I'm a firm believer that it takes two to tango. However, when each side has their heels completely dug in and refuses to budge an inch, those dust-ups occur. I'm of the mind that if one person stops dancing, the other has no choice but to quit the tango.
I share your opinion when it comes to escalating battle of egos, however, where something is being misrepresented e.g. undermining of organic food then I feel obligated to both defend and correct the skewed view. It would be different if the matter were in PM but, given that members read and hence influenced by info, I feel duty bound to expose unfair bias. That said, I have no problem with stepping down and admitting if I have got things wrong since I am interested in the truth of a situation rather than bolstering my opinion if it is found to be at fault.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

I come by mostly and read, don't often say much. I find it difficult sometimes to find the time to get online with my job keeping me quite busy at the moment.
But I thought I would say hello, so here I am and hello.

I am not registered in any other forums, only cookingbites and I really enjoy it, both for the variety of forums and exchanges of opinions, recipes and even the people with whom I am good at chatting and joking a bit. When I was looking for an English cooking forum, I was looking for a little bit to improve and exercise in English and therefore also to understand new things about non-Italian cooking, . Of all those I saw, cookingbites is what caught my attention ... I had to say that at first I was very worried above all for my English, and I thought it was a limit and being put "a bit in one corner" to this. Instead, no. Nice this. Of course I still do not answer right now because I lose the pieces and the sense of certain phrases, but it's nice to try and learn and at the same time to interact with someone who is not a kid and has arguments other than food.

Back
Top Bottom