Biking and baking

Wandering Bob

Über Member
Local time
3:47 PM
Biking and baking - two pleasurable leisure activities. I've been baking bread and cakes since the 1980s but it's only fairly recently, after re-discovering the joys of cycling, that I've managed to combine these two sensory delights.

At home after a long ride, I get even more enjoyment than usual from eating whatever I've baked - the physical effort expended has stimulated the taste buds, or perhaps it's just prolonged exposure to fresh air? If I've planned properly, the enjoyment of a long ride can also be enhanced by scoffing an 'in-flight snack' (sugar booster).

If I'm going out on the bike for 3 or 4 hours, apart from ensuring I've got enough fluids, I usually only carry a banana, some dates and perhaps an energy bar. Energy bar? I reckon the energy expended in trying to unwrap it far outweighs any benefit I get from having eaten it. But that's probably just my fumbling incompetence.

On longer rides (5 to 7 hours) I've found that I really need something more substantial to help sustain the effort. Here are three of my current 'long-haul' favourites (I try and carry a bit of one of these on all my long runs):

Cornbread - I first discovered this bread/cake back in the 1980s when I was travelling in the US. It's taken me more than 30 years to knock together a workable recipe but I've finally done it. It's slightly sweet and quite heavy so I don't need much - a smallish rectangle of this is enough to give me a lift.

Pear & vanilla cake - this is a variant of the French Quatre Quart cake. I use a conference pear - it cooks as part of the baking process - so not too hard or too soft. If I've got it right, the end-result is 'melt in the mouth' pear suffused with the flavour of vanilla. And believe me, it tastes just perfect after a few hours' of riding.

Cinnamon & chocolate cake - also a Quatre Quart variant. I get a ‘rush’ from all the chocolate in this. It seems to put at least another 20kms into my legs.

Any other cyclists on here who want to share details of a few of their favourite home-made long haul snacks?

I know next to nothing about power snacks - but what strikes me is that all the things you mention are highish in sugar. Is that necessary? There is so much advice about how bad sugar is due to it peaking glucose levels which then fall off rapidly - and links to diabetes etc. Maybe this is offset by the high physical activity? As I said - I know next to nothing about this.

strikes me is that all the things you mention are highish in sugar. Is that necessary? There is so much advice about how bad sugar is due to it peaking glucose levels which then fall off rapidly - and links to diabetes etc. Maybe this is offset by the high physical activity? As I said - I know next to nothing about this.

@morning glory - no, I don't know much either. But ….the amount of times I go out per month carrying slices of cake is quite few. Particularly at the moment - I find rides of over 4 hours in this heat are very wearying. I reckon that the small amount of cake that I eat in the course of a 50-mile ride is insignificant. Anyone who eats a large slice of cake then spends the afternoon watching TV is damaging themselves - but I really don't think I'm hurting myself.

That said - I'd pay a lot of money for a one-to-one 30 minute session with an English-speaking sports nutritionist. It would hopefully answer lots of my questions. I'd pay even more money for a session with a sports psychologist - but that's another story (and not for this forum)

Particularly at the moment - I find rides of over 4 hours in this heat are very wearying.
If you can do 4 hour bike rides then you are doing well! I'm not sure how old you are but I have found my physical ability to even walk for an hour has been compromised in the last 5 years (I'm 66). This is partly due to a back problem which causes weakness in my legs (going up hills is a struggle and I can't walk up steps without partially hauling myself up with the handrail!). No amount of sports nutrition is going to sort that out, sadly.

I also find this heat very wearing. I spend most of the day sitting next to an electric fan with wet flannels draped over bits of me! :laugh:

@morning glory - no, I don't know much either. But ….the amount of times I go out per month carrying slices of cake is quite few. Particularly at the moment - I find rides of over 4 hours in this heat are very wearying. I reckon that the small amount of cake that I eat in the course of a 50-mile ride is insignificant. Anyone who eats a large slice of cake then spends the afternoon watching TV is damaging themselves - but I really don't think I'm hurting myself.

That said - I'd pay a lot of money for a one-to-one 30 minute session with an English-speaking sports nutritionist. It would hopefully answer lots of my questions. I'd pay even more money for a session with a sports psychologist - but that's another story (and not for this forum)

If you can do 4 hour bike rides then you are doing well! I'm not sure how old you are but I have found my physical ability to even walk for an hour has been compromised in the last 5 years (I'm 66). This is partly due to a back problem which causes weakness in my legs (going up hills is a struggle and I can't walk up steps without partially hauling myself up with the handrail!). No amount of sports nutrition is going to sort that out, sadly.

I also find this heat very wearing. I spend most of the day sitting next to an electric fan with wet flannels draped over bits of me! :laugh:

Professional cyclists use energy bars and gels for extra energy when on long rides ie: The Tour De France, they contain high levels of sugar. As @Wandering Bob rightly said, if you eat cake then sit in front of the telly then yes it can be an issue but if you exercise plenty then sugar is fine.

if you exercise plenty then sugar is fine.

Thanks for the reassurance !
I'm really not sure if it's a good idea but I am a believer in eating what your body tells you it wants - whether it's fruit, garlic, lettuce, or fried potatoes, or whatever … and if I'm tired on the bike, and my body is whispering "chocolate, chocolate" to me, then that's what it's given

If you can do 4 hour bike rides then you are doing well! I'm not sure how old you are but I have found my physical ability to even walk for an hour

Sorry @morning glory I missed this post earlier. My longest ride this year was just over 7 hours back in March - I was almost hallucinating with tiredness over the last few kilometres (I did 122km in total that day) and I said to myself that it was just too much. You and I are almost exactly the same age - and if it's any consolation, as my cycling has increased, my ability to walk has diminished. I doubt very much if I could walk for an hour now - but I'm happy that my cycling 'engine' is still going strong.

I've lived in far hotter countries than this - I don't understand why I'm finding this heat so debilitating - maybe that's an age thing too?

You and I are almost exactly the same age - and if it's any consolation, as my cycling has increased, my ability to walk has diminished. I doubt very much if I could walk for an hour now - but I'm happy that my cycling 'engine' is still going strong.

Well now - that is very strange. I would expect that your 'leg power' from cycling would mean you can walk for miles! Is that something a lot of cyclists find? I wonder how I would do on a bike - I used to be an avid cycler many moons ago. I am too nervous now to cycle in case I fall (brittle bones, too many times broken) - but it would be interesting to know if I could cycle.

Well now - that is very strange. I would expect that your 'leg power' from cycling would mean you can walk for miles! Is that something a lot of cyclists find? I wonder how I would do on a bike - I used to be an avid cycler many moons ago. I am too nervous now to cycle in case I fall (brittle bones, too many times broken) - but it would be interesting to know if I could cycle.

I have a set of straight handlebars on the bike which gives me an upright posture when I'm cycling - so it slows me down but it's very comfortable: no pressure at all on my back. Walking on the other hand is a strain on my back. Maybe that's the difference between the two. I can't comment on other cyclists obviously but I'd be surprised if I'm the only cyclist over 60 who finds walking less fun than before.

In your case, if you think you're going to fall off a bike, then you probably would. Had you thought of trying an indoor exercise bike ?

In your case, if you think you're going to fall off a bike, then you probably would. Had you thought of trying an indoor exercise bike ?

No space for one. I did try one in a gym about 5 years ago and it was 'sort of' OK. Swimming was better. But since then my leg strength has deteriorated. I suppose I ought to join a gym again...

Last edited:
Thanks for the reassurance !
I'm really not sure if it's a good idea but I am a believer in eating what your body tells you it wants - whether it's fruit, garlic, lettuce, or fried potatoes, or whatever … and if I'm tired on the bike, and my body is whispering "chocolate, chocolate" to me, then that's what it's given

My husband's body is always demanding chocolate :laugh:

Any other cyclists on here who want to share details of a few of their favourite home-made long haul snacks?
One of my favourites is a double chocolate chip black bean brownie. You get your chocolate fix, deal with the immediate sugar cravings a long ride often causes and at the same time provide it with protein that it actually needs for muscle repair.

I know next to nothing about power snacks - but what strikes me is that all the things you mention are highish in sugar. Is that necessary? There is so much advice about how bad sugar is due to it peaking glucose levels which then fall off rapidly - and links to diabetes etc. Maybe this is offset by the high physical activity? As I said - I know next to nothing about this.
The sugar levels strike me as high as well (from experience). Requiring or craving sugar is a good indication of bad preparation the day before when carbs and protein should have been eaten so that the body has what it requires stored ready for activity. Breakfast is exceptionally important in all day rides because it is what fuels your body at the end of the day (literally). If you don't eat enough of something like porridge, a slow release fuel, you will run short of energy at the end of a long ride.

. I would expect that your 'leg power' from cycling would mean you can walk for miles
It's a different set of muscles in use. Concentrate on one and you often sacrifice the other. Something my husband and I learnt very early on with our aborted round the world cycle tour. Professional cyclists, especially short distance sprinters often struggle with walking as well.

Requiring or craving sugar is a good indication of bad preparation the day before when carbs and protein should have been eaten so that the body has what it requires stored ready for activity. Breakfast is exceptionally important in all day rides because it is what fuels your body at the end of the day (literally). If you don't eat enough of something like porridge, a slow release fuel, you will run short of energy at the end of a long ride.

Thanks @SatNavSaysStraightOn for these comments. I think I'm OK in terms of eating the night before (stocking up on carbs and proteins) but I am not much of a breakfast eater - decades of eating nothing more than bread, jam and coffee for breakfast is a habit difficult to break. I'd taken the view that if I carried enough bananas, dates, choc snacks etc on a 100+km ride then I could just top-up/re-energise as my body was getting tired. I hadn't considered porridge as a breakfast food prior to a long run - it's now on the 'preparation list' for the next long day out.

Back
Top Bottom