Biscuits and Gravy - do you love it or hate it?

Biscuits and gravy done right is awesome.
Done wrong is well what is worse than awful.

Oh and BT, SOS is hamburger meat in gravy.

I agree that biscuits n gravy has to be done well, or not done at all. From looking at the video that morning glory posted, it sounds like that one was done poorly. Under seasoned (if it was bland), and probably not good sausage.

However, SOS is definitely creamed chipped beef, not hamburger, although I'm sure people modify the recipe to use hamburhger nowadays. Probably even cream of mushroom soup since that is a popular shortcut as well.

SOS an old thing from the military during WWII. My father talked about it with particular disgust.
The soldiers would get this horrible dried, pressed beef in their rations, so in order to make it palatable, they would cook it in milk if they could obtain some from a farm. Served on a shingle (a ration cracker, or toast if you could get it).

I agree that biscuits n gravy has to be done well, or not done at all. From looking at the video that morning glory posted, it sounds like that one was done poorly. Under seasoned (if it was bland), and probably not good sausage.

However, SOS is definitely creamed chipped beef, not hamburger, although I'm sure people modify the recipe to use hamburhger nowadays. Probably even cream of mushroom soup since that is a popular shortcut as well.

SOS an old thing from the military during WWII. My father talked about it with particular disgust.
The soldiers would get this horrible dried, pressed beef in their rations, so in order to make it palatable, they would cook it in milk if they could obtain some from a farm. Served on a shingle (a ration cracker, or toast if you could get it).
Either way: the S fits.
If you use mushroom soup, that turns it from SOS to cheap stroganoff.

Last edited:
Proper gravy:
If you put any kind of vegetable oil anywhere near it, you screwed it up. (Make that any yellow oil.)
First you cook the sausage or the bacon. This will provide all the fat you need. When the meat is done, add the flour to the fat. Cook until blended. Then add the milk slowly and whisk until it is saucy. Add salt and pepper. Cook for about one more minute.
Serve over biscuits or whatever.

Now let's move on to other foods.
Fried pork chops or chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes and cream gravy.
To fry the meat, get you a little bacon grease. Do not use yellow oil.
Cook meat until done and follow the above instructions.

You should only use oil for frying eggs, not for fried meats or gravy.

And biscuits should be made with lard, yes?
Cut into the flour until crumbly, but not overworked.

I haven't had chicken fried steak in ages. Now I'm jonesin' for some.

Funny you mention the bacon grease cooking method. I just showed my son this morning that in order to make a Taylor ham (pork roll(, egg, and cheese sandwich, you don't need oil or butter. Just dry fry the Taylor ham first which leaves just enough fat in the pan to cook the eggs.

S*** on a Shingle.

It's the military nickname for creamed chipped beef on toast or hardtack, or alternately but less authentic, beef mince in cream sauce over toast.

Last edited by a moderator:
S*** on a Shingle.

It's the military nickname for creamed chipped beef on toast or hard tack, or alternately but less authentic, beef mince in cream sauce over toast.

OK! Thanks for explaining. Why 'shingle'? Its just the poet in me - I need to know. :D

And biscuits should be made with lard, yes?
Cut into the flour until crumbly, but not overworked.

I haven't had chicken fried steak in ages. Now I'm jonesin' for some.

Funny you mention the bacon grease cooking method. I just showed my son this morning that in order to make a Taylor ham (pork roll(, egg, and cheese sandwich, you don't need oil or butter. Just dry fry the Taylor ham first which leaves just enough fat in the pan to cook the eggs.
Either lard or shortening. Either will work. I use shortening myself.
We had chicken fried steaks a couple of weeks ago.

In the interest of this: anymore I would just do P&P.
Pillsbury biscuits and Pioneer gravy mix.

I can see doing the biscuit mix, but the gravy has to be from scratch.

My wife favors packet mixes for things like fajitas, or gravies. She cooks a lot more than I do, so I understand the convenience.

I see. Sorry - I was thinking about the biscuits in the classic recipe - which would be softer.

SOS is only the nickname for the creamed chipped beef on toast.

The other more common recipes discussed herein are for biscuits and gravy, mostly sausage gravy, or as mentioned, Red Eye gravy.

My wife favors packet mixes for things like fajitas, or gravies. She cooks a lot more than I do, so I understand the convenience.

Pillsbury doesn't do biscuit mix. They do canned biscuits.
The reason for the gravy mix is like soups, it is impossible to make just enough for 2.

For tacos, only McCormick Original taco here. No substitutes.

Back
Top Bottom