• 2 cloves
  • 6 garlic cloves, minced
  • zest and juice of a lemon
  • 150 ml tomato ketchup
  • 1 dash Tabasco sauce (or to taste)
  • 6 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
blackened pork ribs.jpg

Method

Season the ribs with salt and pepper and keep aside.

Grind the cumin seeds, fennel seeds and cloves to a powder. Combine with the paprika, garlic, lemon, ketchup, Tabasco and balsamic vinegar and mix to a smooth paste. Place the pork ribs in a glass bowl and mix in the marinade. Cover and place in the refrigerator overnight.

Remove the pork ribs from the marinade, place on a barbecue and cook for around 20 minutes, turning frequently. Each time after turning, baste with some of the remaining marinade. When the ribs are blackened, remove from the heat and allow to rest for around 5 minutes.

Alternatively the ribs may be roasted on a baking tray in the oven (220 degC) for 40 minutes or in a halogen oven for 25 minutes.

Last edited:
Very tasty! It's too bad you can't win your own challenge, eh? :laugh:

Now, looking at your recipe, I have a question based on your region: have you ever used banana ketchup?

det-monte-real-banana-ketch.jpg

I know it's from the Philippines, but I'm guessing you've seen it on the store shelves? If it's what I've heard (similar, but sweeter and spicier), I think it would work with your marinade, though it would certainly change it.

Wiki says:
Banana ketchup or banana sauce is a popular Philippine fruit ketchup condiment made from mashed banana, sugar, vinegar, and spices. Its natural color is brownish-yellow, but it is often dyed red to resemble tomato ketchup.

I'm feeling quite queasy now. :sick:

Very tasty! It's too bad you can't win your own challenge, eh? :laugh:

Now, looking at your recipe, I have a question based on your region: have you ever used banana ketchup?

I know it's from the Philippines, but I'm guessing you've seen it on the store shelves? If it's what I've heard (similar, but sweeter and spicier), I think it would work with your marinade, though it would certainly change it.

I haven't seen it here and not in the Philippines either but admittedly I didn't do much food shopping when I worked over there.

I wish they were beef instead of pork.

I can't see any reason why beef could not be substituted (although I'd be reluctant to do it here given the price of decent beef).

Back
Top Bottom