Blood Oranges

I bought some a week ago and was disappointed with the lack of "blood". They seemed more like a normal orange with a tiny part of the segment coloured ruby. I hope its just that I picked a bad batch and not because they've become painfully trendy and trying to keep up with demand.

I bought some a week ago and was disappointed with the lack of "blood". They seemed more like a normal orange with a tiny part of the segment coloured ruby. I hope its just that I picked a bad batch and not because they've become painfully trendy and trying to keep up with demand.
Apparently its best to get ones with a bluish tinge on bits of the skin. I got mine from Ocado and they are super red! - as you can see here: https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/avocado-date-and-blood-orange-salad.9120/

Waw! thanks for the tip. I know what to look out for now! Unfortunately no Ocado for me - I live in the sticks, where Tesco's is considered exotic.
Thing is - I'm not sure which bit is supposed to be bluish - maybe its meant to be purplish! Here is one of the oranges. It seems to have greeny-blue marks and reddish parts on the skin too.

Photo on 02-03-2017 at 15.25.jpg

Nope! None of you are going to get me eating blood oranges voluntarily. You'd have to blindfold me first, and even then sthe slight difference in taste might give them away. Luckily the season is nearly over. Maybe it is a phobia - I can still remember the shock of seeing one when I was about 5. Don't have any problem with vampires though. :D

Mine came from Riverford Organic and they are excellent, sharp with a deep flavour. I just eat them, it would be a shame to mess them about.

I think @Elawin uses Riverford Organic too (though not for blood oranges I suspect judging by her post above). :D Are they in season at the moment?

I love blood oranges. I've always thought they were sweeter than regular oranges. I actually looked into getting a tree, but found out that they would never get "bloody" for me because they have to have a certain amount of really cold weather to turn that lovely red color, and it rarely gets cold enough, much less cold enough long enough here. I'll have to look at one of the upscale markets and see if they have any yet. Looked a couple of weeks ago and they didn't.

We happened to come across some Meyer lemons and blood oranges at the same time once. We sliced them really thin and shingled over salt and peppered chicken or hogfish, which is a white fleshed, very mild tasting fish, and baked. I think we squeezed some juice over it too. Came out really good.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom