Bloomin' Onion

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
9:38 PM
Have you ever made it? Came across this whilst looking for something else - so pretty!

Baked-Bloomin-Onion-046.jpg

Photo from https://hostthetoast.com/baked-bloomin-onion/ (made in the oven)

Video here on how to do it (deep fried)
View: https://youtu.be/WG05FfeitsY

Last edited:
I've heard of it, but never made one yet. Would like to try it though. Used to get it at Outback. :wink:

Last edited:
We have years and years ago, even bought a plastic frame/metal blade cutter for home use. They are a PITA to make between cutting, cause let's face it a $30ish dollar cutter versus one costing hundreds - no contest, to getting the spice/breading mixture to adhere to all the "petals," and having a deep fryer big enough to hold a big onion, and the fact that you lose a lot of the spice/breading, which messes up the oil.

having a deep fryer big enough to hold a big onion, and the fact that you lose a lot of the spice/breading, which messes up the oil.

The first link from whence the photo comes suggests a baked version. That would be easy enough to try out. So I just might do that.

I've seen these on video clips on a Facebook page I follow. Looks great but never got round to trying to make one. I agree the baked version sounds better than the fried.

Please make and post @morning glory

I says only to bake onion for 18 mins which seems short. It soaks in buttermilk for 2 hours though - maybe that softens it up?

I tried one of these in a restaurant once years ago (possibly a Chili's) - it was ok but having been deep fried it was rather greasy. I like the sound of a baked one though, that sounds much nicer.

I says only to bake onion for 18 mins which seems short. It soaks in buttermilk for 2 hours though - maybe that softens it up?
Looking at the picture the onion itself still has a lot of structure because its standing up so 18 minutes is probably about right for baking it in a hot oven because you're only really baking the coating. I guess soaking in buttermilk will remove the raw onion taste so the onion doesn't need to be cooked too much.

Looking at the picture the onion itself still has a lot of structure because its standing up so 18 minutes is probably about right for baking it in a hot oven because you're only really baking the coating. I guess soaking in buttermilk will remove the raw onion taste so the onion doesn't need to be cooked too much.

Maybe you are right - but wouldn't deep frying cook the onion through? Anyway - I have cut one (fiddly) and am currently soaking it, so we will see!

Maybe you are right - but wouldn't deep frying cook the onion through?
Yes it does, but if I remember correctly the coating on a deep fried version is thicker than the baked one in the photo.....so I guess the coating is what provides the structure for the deep fried version? I also remember that it was quite difficult to pull off the bits of onion without the onion slipping out of the crispy coating. I'm imagining that the baked version would have a bit more crunch to it - will be interested to hear how it turns out :happy:

I've tried them at restaurants and found them too oily. But my mom and dad loved them. I never had the desire to make them.

Here we go. I followed the recipe pictured in the top post: https://hostthetoast.com/baked-bloomin-onion/

I baked it for the prescribed 18mins at and tested with a sharp knife. It still seemed uncooked. So, because the tips were beginning to burn I lowered the heat and baked for another 15 mins. I copied the topping in the recipe photo.

fullsizeoutput_41fc.jpeg

The verdict? If you you like partially raw pieces of onion with rather dry crispy breadcrumbs and cajun spice then fine - but frankly I found it inedible. This is a case of style over substance. I think this is a dish that needs to be deep fried with batter as in the original 'Outback' version.

I had fun making and photographing it though!

Last edited:
Was the stuff in the middle cooked inside the bloom? All the ones i have ever seen the dipping sauce was on the side.

The verdict? If you you like partially raw pieces of onion with rather dry crispy breadcrumbs and cajun spice then fine - but frankly I found it inedible. This is a case of style over substance. I think this is a dish that needs to be deep fried with batter as in the original 'Outback' version.
Oh that's a shame :( I was really hoping it would work out and was planning on maybe trying it myself. I don't have deep fat fryer (and frankly found the deep fried version too oily) so I was really hoping that this baked version would work. I'd make a great accompaniment to buffalo wings.

Comparing your photo with the one from the recipe I would say that the onion looks about the same level of cooked-ness (is that even a word???), in fact I think you were pretty much spot on with re-creating the dish....but maybe the author does like partially raw onion?

I notice that the author uses a Vidalia onion - its not a variety I'm familiar with but wiki says its a sweet onion, so maybe it doesn't need as much cooking as a normal onion?

I'm wondering if there's a way to adapt the recipe a bit.....maybe if the breadcrumbs were combined with a little bit of fat (melted butter or oil) before being added to the onion they'd crisp up without going dry?

Back
Top Bottom