Bloomin' Onion

I notice that the author uses a Vidalia onion - its not a variety I'm familiar with but wiki says its a sweet onion, so maybe it doesn't need as much cooking as a normal onion?

Vidalias are very nice onions. They are sweet and tend to be quite larger than other onions. They make excellent onion rings.

I notice that the author uses a Vidalia onion - its not a variety I'm familiar with but wiki says its a sweet onion, so maybe it doesn't need as much cooking as a normal onion?

I'm wondering if there's a way to adapt the recipe a bit.....maybe if the breadcrumbs were combined with a little bit of fat (melted butter or oil) before being added to the onion they'd crisp up without going dry?

I don't think the Vidalia would cook through any more than the onion I used - which was a sweet type white onion, The cooking time simply isn't enough. As it happens I did brush some oil over it to help the crumbs adhere but it still came out dry. The only thing I can think of is to cut the onion and then cover and microwave or bake it until tender. Then open it out and cover in crumb and bake until it crisps up. I'm not sure that would really work either as the onion would probably collapse!

If you think about it the deep fried version is like making onion rings (which I made recently). The raw onion is battered and cooked quite quickly in the oil - the high oil temperature cooks the onion inside but the ring shape is retained. I think trying to bake onion rings in the oven would be just as impossible.

I don't think the Vidalia would cook through any more than the onion I used - which was a sweet type white onion, The cooking time simply isn't enough. As it happens I did brush some oil over it to help the crumbs adhere but it still came out dry. The only thing I can think of is to cut the onion and then cover and microwave or bake it until tender. Then open it out and cover in crumb and bake until it crisps up. I'm not sure that would really work either as the onion would probably collapse!

If you think about it the deep fried version is like making onion rings (which I made recently). The raw onion is battered and cooked quite quickly in the oil - the high oil temperature cooks the onion inside but the ring shape is retained. I think trying to bake onion rings in the oven would be just as impossible.
You're right about battered onion rings, though breaded ones do work in the oven.....but they need to be properly breaded with flour and egg first, not just sprinkled with breadcrumbs.

I sometimes do carrot chips which are dipped in a mixture of oil and cornflour and they do get a fairly crispy coating in the oven - I wonder if there's any mileage in dipping the onion in that kind of mixture first and then adding the breadcrumbs......can you tell that I really want to make this recipe work? LOL Hubby loves raw onion anyway so I may still give it a go in a couple of weeks if I can find the time.

You're right about battered onion rings, though breaded ones do work in the oven.....but they need to be properly breaded with flour and egg first, not just sprinkled with breadcrumbs.

Ah - I didn't know you could oven bake them. Perhaps the onion does need to be dipped in flour, egg, breadcrumbs. I'm not sure whether that would make much difference though. One problem is the the tips are going to burn before the rest is tender.

I've heard of people that eat Vidalias like fresh apples. Never tried that myself though.

I was thinking the same thing about microwaving or steaming to parcook.

I have eaten Blooming Onions at Outback, Chili's and other restaurants. All deep fried. A variety of dipping sauces
All delicious. My problem is that before the day is over I am running to the toilet . Too much grease.
A serious love hate relationship.

Here we go. I followed the recipe pictured in the top post: https://hostthetoast.com/baked-bloomin-onion/

I baked it for the prescribed 18mins at and tested with a sharp knife. It still seemed uncooked. So, because the tips were beginning to burn I lowered the heat and baked for another 15 mins. I copied the topping in the recipe photo.

View attachment 22571

The verdict? If you you like partially raw pieces of onion with rather dry crispy breadcrumbs and cajun spice then fine - but frankly I found it inedible. This is a case of style over substance. I think this is a dish that needs to be deep fried with batter as in the original 'Outback' version.

I had fun making and photographing it though!

Pretty. They were all the rage as an appetizer at some chain restaurants. Tony Roma's had a peel and eat onion ring loaf. Perhaps adding a pat of butter & some Worcestershire sauce to the center, wrapping in foil & baking or grilling might work. No breading. Would be cool with small cipollini (sp?) onions, served alongside of steak.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom