Blow torches

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
3:56 PM
I've been looking at blow torches for searing meat. They are not available locally but our Lazada mail order outlet has a number of them. Research has indicated that the "food" types advertised are a little under powered.

Does anyone have any recommendations (considering spare gas canisters may be difficult for me to obtain)?

Most of those in use in the kitchen are simple adaptations of DIY ones. A cover/sleeve over the gas cartridge, to make it "fit in" in the kitchen is often the only difference, barring price.

Aunt uses a Taymar one, bought at a local ironmongers. The only difference is a clip on base to improve stability.
I've been looking at blow torches for searing meat. They are not available locally but our Lazada mail order outlet has a number of them. Research has indicated that the "food" types advertised are a little under powered.

Does anyone have any recommendations (considering spare gas canisters may be difficult for me to obtain)?

I've been to a couple of local DIY stores (if you can call them that) and they've looked at me daft. I tried to search out some copper pipe and fittings to explain but it's all PVC here. Maybe I'll just spend a few quid on a mail order one and hope for the best. The "Mail Order Catalogue" is somewhat lacking in detail and is 80% written in Thai anyway.

It's the heat you need for searing meat. Just check for one with a fine point flame and any DIY lamp will do if you can source one. Some of the smaller ones can be refilled from a gas cigarette lighter refuel can although these do tend to be quite small [but they are very hot - I admit I stole the first one we bought and it now lives in my workshop for small soldering brazing jobs :whistling:]

I've ordered this - US$ 20.00. It's imported so won't be here until next week.

butane burner.jpg

That's a terrific price! Can you please provide a link to it? As you suggested, brulee torches are great for burning sugar, but probably not so great for cooking below the surface of a slab of meat.

That's a terrific price! Can you please provide a link to it?

It's here (and they've reduced the price to US$18.00 since I ordered it!):

https://www.lazada.co.th/butane-gas...nic-cook-welding-equipment-intl-13251310.html

I know Lazada operate out of the Philippines and Thailand and possibly Malaysia. There could be other places also.

As you suggested, brulee torches are great for burning sugar, but probably not so great for cooking below the surface of a slab of meat.

I've obtained it for charring the surface of beef (and possibly pork) steaks after the initial cooking. Whether it will be satisfactory or not I shall not know until it arrives and I try it.

The page has some bits in English, but all the ordering information is in Thai. However, I was able to search for the same torch on Amazon.com, and I'm happy to say it's available at a very reasonable price in the States, too. The full description is:

Happy E-life Butane Burner Ignition Gas Torch Flamethrower Flame Gun for BBQ Baking Camping Welding

Welding! This thing produces some serious heat!

The page has some bits in English, but all the ordering information is in Thai. However, I was able to search for the same torch on Amazon.com, and I'm happy to say it's available at a very reasonable price in the States, too. The full description is:

Happy E-life Butane Burner Ignition Gas Torch Flamethrower Flame Gun for BBQ Baking Camping Welding

Kinda warm, right enough
Flame temperature: up to 1350 Celsius degree

It may also be useful for adjusting (i.e. bending) the lock clamp on my main gate then

My wife pointed out that the one via Lazada had a "1 month (เดือน) No Warranty".

The unit arrived this afternoon. Instructions all in Chinese (I think):

Blow Lamp 001.jpg

Although I've spent a significant length of time in China, I haven't mastered the language. However, I have, after much consideration, concluded that a) don't point the flame into your face; b) don't touch the burner because it's hot; and d) don't use upside down. I'm still working on c).

Although I've spent a significant length of time in China, I haven't mastered the language. However, I have, after much consideration, concluded that a) don't point the flame into your face; b) don't touch the burner because it's hot; and d) don't use upside down. I'm still working on c).

I think c) maybe "don't operate without igniting the flame"?

I used it on a beef fillet steak today. Worked well.

I'll try in on the gate tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom