Blue Apron

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
3:28 PM
These folks have been posting TV commercials that seem aimed at men, to do their own cooking. I did some research and it turns out that they are the latest in that long series of mail order meal vendors, this one not targeting the overweight, but men in general.

I don't know whether anyone here has ever used them (I have never ordered mail order meals of any type), but there seems to be a social message here ... single men making dinner for themselves and their kids. I didn't know that that was so prevalent that a company could be founded targeting that particular sector of society.

@The Late Night Gourmet did a good job on this to be sure. $60 for a meal?! My comment is that these things are fixed and don't seem to allow the folks using them to express any degree of creativity.

I'd agree. Some argue that eating using these kits avoids food wastage which I suppose it might for some people.

The forum members are great home cooks, some are Chefs. We are not the target audience for Blue Apron or any other such service. My Middle Sister constantly asks for recipes. The problem is she does not have anything more than the most basic ingredients. Her cookware is minimal and her knives are awe full. I understand why she does not like to cook. It is a chore for her instead of a joy. She would be a perfect customer for Blue Apron except for the price.

The forum members are great home cooks, some are Chefs. We are not the target audience for Blue Apron or any other such service.

Maybe - but we have some members who might not be so experienced. It could be that such schemes could encourage inexperienced cooks in trying new things. If they cook something from the kit which works then they might gain the confidence to purchase the individual ingredients and make it again. Anything which encourages people to cook has to be a good thing in my book! The problem is, they are not really budget friendly.

Some of the Riverford ones look lovely, but there is no way I could justify the expense. Some of the recipes eventually appear on their site, but usually not the "guest chef" ones which they have from time to time.

Back
Top Bottom