Recipe Bombay Potatoes

I'd never heard of Malanga root. It looks like a yam. I think the idea of adding fenugreek is excellent - were they fresh fenugreek leaves? I find them hard to get but have obtained them in Asian shops. Dried fenugreek doesn't have the same pungency.
I considered using fenugreek powder, but opted for the leaves to give a more subtle flavor.

The Malanga root (sometimes called the taro root) is related to the potato...some say it has a nutty flavor, but I find it to be like a more earthy potato. The flesh turns a pale pink when cooked; it takes longer to cook through than the potato. For this recipe, I parboiled both this and the potato together, already chopped, for 6 minutes, then drained them. The stir-fry did the rest of the cooking.

And, I've just read that the Malanga root has a level of toxicity! Apparently, an uncooked Malanga root has calcium oxalate, which can lead to kidney stones. Totally worth it for the flavor! Seriously, boiling it is supposed to be enough to render it safe. I did try a small nibble of the raw root to see what it's like, but I think I'm safe.

he Malanga root (sometimes called the taro root) is related to the potato...some say it has a nutty flavor, but I find it to be like a more earthy potato. The flesh turns a pale pink when cooked; it takes longer to cook through than the potato. For this recipe, I parboiled both this and the potato together, already chopped, for 6 minutes, then drained them. The stir-fry did the rest of the cooking.

I've realised what it is called here: the eddo! I believe it is the same and I have eaten them before although not for a while. When I lived in London I was near a huge Afro-Carribean open air market and they were available there.

View attachment 7912 Here's some more about the Malanga root. I realized, too late, that you didn't peel the potatoes. When you see with the Malanga root looks like unpeeled, I think you'll understand why I peeled them. I just automatically peeled the potatoes next.

Malanga: Wow .. I have a Cuban friend who prepares Malanga for her grand children .. It is an West African Tuber which was brought to The Caribbean during the Slave Trading Movement. It is often prepared diced, then mashed with milk and sugar for very young children.

There is another African / Latin American tuber called: Ñame .. which is much larger than a Malanga and roundish oval in shape .. It is also prepared for children, with milk and sugar ( called Batidos ) ..

Interesting that you have prepared it in a more "potato manner" ..

Good luck with the challenge ..

The Malanga root (sometimes called the taro root) is related to the potato...s

Well having said I found it hard to source I found some today in my local Asian mini market. Eddoes - as they are called here. Just a under a £1 for all these!

Photo on 15-06-2017 at 20.40 #2.jpg

I know that you can only get one type of potatoes though in Thailand and I can't remember if they are old floury type, new waxy type or in between.

I'd say they were in between but it's not easy to judge when I can't remember the last time I ate either waxy or floury potatoes.

I plan to cook a single portion this afternoon (my wife rarely eats potatoes) to eat with tandoori chicken drumsticks.

Back
Top Bottom