Books With An Index

classic33

Legendary Member
Local time
1:56 PM
Along the lines of do they(cooking books) ever go out of fashion.

How many still have, or have access to, ones with anything other than broad catagorgies at the front only? Okay they couldn't cover everything, but it was a starting point with nearly every reference book.

Has the format of books changed, trying to reflect a straight copy, in some cases, of a website?

Except for some fundraiser cookbooks, nearly every cookbook I own has an actual index whether it was published in 1914 or 2014. Most fundraiser cookbooks have indexes too.
I only own 1200+cookbooks.
The booklets are about 50/50 on indexes.

Not sure what you mean here @classic33. I think all my recipe books have an index at the back. Are you meaning that recently some have been published which only have a 'front of book' list of categories? Or are you saying that the 'front of book' list of categories is no longer used very much?

The alphabetical index, usually a full one, found at the rear seems to be giving way to the catergory list only at the front.

The alphabetical index, usually a full one, found at the rear seems to be giving way to the catergory list only at the front.
I haven't found that to be the case at all.
Of course, it also depends on the type and size of cookbook.
Big published cookbooks nearly always have an index. Books put together by individuals vary by how much work the person wants to put in. Or the committee in the case of fund raiser cookbooks.

Now if you are talking e-books, that is a whole other kettle of fish. (And if they are in Kindle Select, they have to have the table of contents up front.) Though they can still have an index in back.

Ee-Books, just right for someone from Yorkshire!

I'm still with paper books.

OK - I haven't noticed that but to be honest I don't buy a lot of new cookery books. Mostly I get used from Amazon or from charity shops. The last one I got was an Ottolenghi book (for my birthday) and that has an alphabetical index.

OK - I haven't noticed that but to be honest I don't buy a lot of new cookery books. Mostly I get used from Amazon or from charity shops. The last one I got was an Ottolenghi book (for my birthday) and that has an alphabetical index.
Charity shops are the greatest. Especially the ones here. They don't distinguish between a novel and a cookbook. So all books are one price.

I don't have very many cookery books yet but all the ones I go have indexes at the back. Its quite useful to be able to look up things alphabetically.

Back
Top Bottom