Borettane Onions

epicuric

Legendary Member
Local time
6:06 PM
IMG_1993.JPG

These beauties arrived yesterday, all 2.5kg of them. We have become addicted to them as part of a tapas plate, but struggle to get hold of them locally. In the end we had to resort to the Brazilian rainforest people. I have also obtained some seeds with a view to growing my own next year.

Well this is a new one to me. Tesco's and Waitrose seem to have something similar/same. Are they just a type of onion, pickled?

View attachment 12161 View attachment 12162
Yes, they are all borettani onions - flat and sweet, originating in Italy, pickled in balsamic vinegar. Neither our local Tesco or Waitrose stock them. We can get them loose from an olive vendor when the farmers market comes to town but they are very expensive. The 2.5kg tin was only £8 plus postage, and once decanted into smaller Kilner jars should last us well into next year. I hope they are not so cheap for a reason!

Yes, they are all borettani onions - flat and sweet, originating in Italy, pickled in balsamic vinegar. Neither our local Tesco or Waitrose stock them. We can get them loose from an olive vendor when the farmers market comes to town but they are very expensive. The 2.5kg tin was only £8 plus postage, and once decanted into smaller Kilner jars should last us well into next year. I hope they are not so cheap for a reason!

That is a good price anyway compared to the supermarkets. I can get them via Ocado so I'll pop some in my next order to try out...

Last edited:
I have now tried them - TBH I wasn't overly impressed - I thought they tasted better than ordinary pickled onions but that was mainly because of the balsamic. I didn't think the onions themselves were anything very different. It may be that your tinned version is superior...

I have now tried them - TBH I wasn't overly impressed - I thought they tasted better than ordinary pickled onions but that was mainly because of the balsamic. I didn't think the onions themselves were anything very different. It may be that your tinned version is superior...
The onions themselves are much sweeter than normal pickling onions, and along with the balsamic vinegar they should taste markedly different. More like a sweet chutney taste than the sharp tangyness of a regular pickled onion. My mother, having taken a jar back home with her on Friday, rang me yesterday to say that the jar was almost empty already. They had been putting them on bacon sandwiches :hyper:

Back
Top Bottom