Recipe Boston Baked Beans (pressure cooked)

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
1:09 AM
This is my first time ever, making baked beans in a pressure cooker!! Surprisingly, it was a great success, I might add, and I think I'll do it this way from now on!! Beats the other method of doing it in the oven, which is way too slow!! Saves a tremendous amount of time & work over the traditional method!!

But soaking & cooking times may vary. Prep time for that is cut down, even!! The results should still be the same though.

Ingredients;

• 1 lb (16 oz or 2 cups) small white, navy or great northern beans.
  • 1/3 1b diced salt pork or bacon.
  • 3 T brown sugar.
  • 3 or 4 T molasses.
  • 1/2 tsp dry mustard.
  • 2 or 3 T ketchup or BBQ sauce.
  • 1 medium size onion, chopped.
  • 4 or 5 cloves garlic, chopped.
  • Salt & ground black pepper to taste.
  • 1/2 tsp Sylvia's Seasoning.
  • Water to cover (hot tap water).

Directions;
  1. Pick over beans, removing any stones and / or bad beans or foreign meterials. Pour beans into pressure cooker. Add hot tap water to cover. Cover with pressure lid, secure and set pressure regulator. Turn on burner to high setting to get pressure obtained in cooker. Reduce heat to medium and flash-pressure-soak for about 5 minutes.
  2. Turn off heat. Cool cooker at once. Pour beans out into a collander and re-rinse. Drain and set aside.
  3. Meanwhile, cook diced salt pork or bacon in cooker until lightly browned. Add chopped onion & garlic. Pour soaked beans back into cooker. Add remaining ingredients. Use hot tap water again for beans, enough to cover.
  4. Secure lid back on cooker, set pressure regulator and tun on heat to high and let pressure build up again. Cook beans for 45 to 50 minutes. Cool cooker at once. Remove lid.
  5. Beans are done when tender. Skins on beans might be a tad tough. Do not be alarmed, as this is normal. But beans should be done otherwise.

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a huge fan of the pressure cooker. As it so happens, I'm also a huge fan of baked beans...not sure if it's because I was born in Boston, or just something about the bacon and brown sugar that always appealed to me. Thanks for posting this: I have everything I need, except for the Sylvia's Seasoning, but I will look for something equivalent if I can't locate it here.

I'm a huge fan of the pressure cooker. As it so happens, I'm also a huge fan of baked beans...not sure if it's because I was born in Boston, or just something about the bacon and brown sugar that always appealed to me. Thanks for posting this: I have everything I need, except for the Sylvia's Seasoning, but I will look for something equivalent if I can't locate it here.

You welcome, buddy! Let us know when you do it, please. Enjoy!! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom