Bottle Your Own Oils?

OhioTom76

Guru
Local time
10:34 PM
A popular grocery chain in our area has started featuring stations with several metal tubs of various specialty olive oils and infused vinegars, where you can bottle your own stuff. I've tried a few of them thus far, and have been relatively pleased with them - especially when they are running "2 for $10" specials, since they normally sell for $8 a bottle. The simple garlic infused oil has been my favorite to date.

There's basically a spout on each tub of oil, and there are empty bottles and corks below with blank labels on them. So it can get a little messy, but you just fill up the bottle, and mark what type of oil or vinegar it is and date it if you like.

What I'm wondering though, is if there is really any benefit to this? It seems to me having those large metal tubs of oil (even though they are covered) sitting out there like that would ultimately cause the oil to become rancid - particularly when a tub is near empty. Even though there's a lid, it's not air tight, so there has to be a lot of air in there when it's almost empty. From a freshness standpoint, I would rather the store just carried all these oils and vinegar pre-bottled.

I'm confused as to what the purpose of this is, because it seems just like a gimmick than anything practical or useful. I mean, they still have to stock all those empty bottles and bottling supplies just as they would if they were pre-bottled. In fact, dealing with those tanks and all the cleanup seems like even more work. Am I missing something?

I've not come across this. I suppose it could be a good idea if the oil/vinegar is significantly cheaper. I do make my own flavoured oils and vinegars. But that's easy-peasy. You buy the oil or vinegar in a bottle as normal and add herbs, garlic etc. to the bottle. Then leave to infuse.

Being a wine expert, have you tried making your own wine vinegar. I think its relatively simple...(?)

A popular grocery chain in our area has started featuring stations with several metal tubs of various specialty olive oils and infused vinegars, where you can bottle your own stuff. I've tried a few of them thus far, and have been relatively pleased with them - especially when they are running "2 for $10" specials, since they normally sell for $8 a bottle. The simple garlic infused oil has been my favorite to date.

There's basically a spout on each tub of oil, and there are empty bottles and corks below with blank labels on them. So it can get a little messy, but you just fill up the bottle, and mark what type of oil or vinegar it is and date it if you like.

What I'm wondering though, is if there is really any benefit to this? It seems to me having those large metal tubs of oil (even though they are covered) sitting out there like that would ultimately cause the oil to become rancid - particularly when a tub is near empty. Even though there's a lid, it's not air tight, so there has to be a lot of air in there when it's almost empty. From a freshness standpoint, I would rather the store just carried all these oils and vinegar pre-bottled.

I'm confused as to what the purpose of this is, because it seems just like a gimmick than anything practical or useful. I mean, they still have to stock all those empty bottles and bottling supplies just as they would if they were pre-bottled. In fact, dealing with those tanks and all the cleanup seems like even more work. Am I missing something?

I think it is easy to infuse your own oils at home as long as you have bottles and spices. There is a store at a local mall here that sells bottles, and oils, and infusions to put in them. Although the prices were not over inflated...I think you could spend less money doing this at home...even if you didn't have as great a selection. I think they have special methods employed in the store to keep the oil fresh. I would use a garlic or truffle infused oil...that sounds good.

I've seen it ,fancy bottles and you fill with oils and vinegars ,and I've seen it done with distilled style spirits in northern germany

The do it yourself is good marketing for the store. They may not be making that much money from that one item but you are in the store and will most likely purchase other items. In marketing it is called a lose leader, just to get more people to come to the store.

They are maybe trying to provide a good customer experience but I think there should be someone from the store supervising the bottle your own counter. It could get messy especially if it is your first time to do it. I had seen similar concept with with make up wherein they create a product well suited for your own skin tone and you get to name it. Kind of good marketing strategy.

Back
Top Bottom