Recipe Braised Cabbage

Lynne Guinne

Veteran
Local time
10:05 PM
This is one of those recipes that really doesn't have exact measurements. It's a "fix as much as you're hungry for" kind of deal, with the two secondary ingredients "measure to taste".

Ingredients
Coarse chopped green cabbage, approximately 1/4 to 1/2 head per person (depending on size of cabbage)
2-4 rashers of streaky bacon, cut into approximately 1 inch (2.5 cm) pieces
1/8 to 1/4 cup liquid (beer, water, broth) per serving of cabbage, or more

Process
Fry bacon in large, heavy saute pan or deep pot (I use a 4-quart Staub Cocotte) until you've coaxed the grease from the meat. Push the bits of meat to the side and add your cabbage. Stir just long enough to blend (it's OK if the bacon sneaks back into the cabbage), then add your liquid. Stir well, turn the heat to low, and cover the pot. Give it a stir about once ever ten minutes, and make sure you have enough liquid to prevent sticking/burning but not so much that the cabbage is sitting in liquid.

The longer you braise the cabbage, the sweeter and more tender it becomes. I usually cook it for 45 minutes, which seems just about right. It also reduces down greatly. Don't be afraid of making too much, because it won't be by the time you're done cooking it. That said, it does reheat well.

Thanks. Same as my recipe except we don't add the liquid and call it fried cabbage.
I will have to try your way.
Side note: if hers is anything like mine, it shrinks down at least 75%.

Thanks. Same as my recipe except we don't add the liquid and call it fried cabbage...
Same here, except I then use butter instead of the bacon. Whenever I fry cabbage with bacon, though, it's to partner with noodles. I fry the noodles up so that they get a few crispy spots, then combine with the fried cabbage that has a little bit of browning. A few minutes frying together, and then gobble it up!

Back
Top Bottom