Recipe Braised Celery

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
8:32 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I have to admit I was sceptical about this dish, but my husband pulled it off really well and it was actually very good. This served the 2 of us as a side dish on Christmas day

Ingredients
4 sticks of celery, topped and tailed and cut into inch long pieces (cut diagonally)
1 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper
250 ml sweet white wine

Method
  1. Heat the oil in a frying pan or similar that has a lid. Use a medium heat. Add the celery, salt and pepper and cook until the celery softens.
  2. Add the wine and bring to the boil. Simmer unconverted for about 5 minutes, then cover for an additional 5-10 minutes until most of the wine has boiled off and reduced to a glaze.
  3. Check the seasoning and serve.

I've made braised celery plenty of times (its one of those things you make if your an a permanent diet, like me!). I've never made it with sweet wine though - usual dry white or stock. I'm wondering how it changes the taste.

There is also braised celery in bechamel - cooked in the oven.

I have to admit I was sceptical about this dish, but my husband pulled it off really well and it was actually very good. This served the 2 of us as a side dish on Christmas day

Ingredients
4 sticks of celery, topped and tailed and cut into inch long pieces (cut diagonally)
1 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper
250 ml sweet white wine

Method
  1. Heat the oil in a frying pan or similar that has a lid. Use a medium heat. Add the celery, salt and pepper and cook until the celery softens.
  2. Add the wine and bring to the boil. Simmer unconverted for about 5 minutes, then cover for an additional 5-10 minutes until most of the wine has boiled off and reduced to a glaze.
  3. Check the seasoning and serve.

What I like about this recipe is its simplicity. Simple things can be very tasty and be good and healthy. I like things that are easy to prepare.

Back
Top Bottom