Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
1:18 PM
This was a genuine experiment - I had a hunch that juniper berries might work with fennel. I munched on a piece of raw fennel with a juniper berry squashed and rubbed on top. Oh my - that works, I thought: the delicious conifer notes of juniper with the slightly sweet aniseed fennel is magical. I added sage which I know works with juniper, then mushrooms to add an earthy dimension. I also used some pink peppercorns to bring a little piquancy.

I added some cream at the end, just a splash - but the sauce was delicious without, so this could be left out.

fullsizeoutput_38b1.jpeg

Ingredients
(serves 2)
1 large bulb of fennel
4 tbsp vegetable oil
30g butter (use extra oil for vegan version)
8 to 10 baby Portobello mushrooms, depending on size
3 - 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
12 crushed juniper berries
1 tbsp pink peppercorns
3 large or 6 small sage leaves
200ml vegetable or chicken stock
Salt to taste
Splash of double cream

Method
  1. Trim off the stalks and fronds of the fennel bulb and set aside.
  2. Cut the bulb vertically from tip to base into 3 or 4 slices. If a few leaves escape this doesn’t matter.
  3. Cut a small ‘v’ shape into the base of any pieces which have a thick stalk, taking care to leave the slices intact.
  4. Add 3 tbsp of oil to a large frying pan and fry the slices of fennel and any leaves until they become golden. Remove and set aside.
  5. Chop the stalks of the fennel into small dice.
  6. Add the remaining tbsp of oil and the butter to the frying pan and gently fry the garlic and fennel stalks until softened.
  7. Add the whole mushrooms, stalk side down and cook gently for a few minutes. Turn them and cook a few minutes on the cap side.
  8. Return the fennel slices and leaves to the pan and add the juniper berries, sage leaves, pink peppercorns and stock.
  9. Bring to a simmer and then turn the heat low. Cook, partially covered for 40 mins or until the base of the fennel is tender. Add water if the stock reduces to much.
  10. Taste the stock and add salt to taste, if required.
  11. Add a splash of cream and stir very gently. Simmer for a few more minutes to reduce and thicken the sauce.
fullsizeoutput_38b2.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you. It is really important to me that people try out my recipes and report back. That way I can be sure they work.

the delicious conifer notes of juniper with the slightly sweet aniseed fennel is magical.
That sentence alone is enough to sell me on the idea; coupled with the recipe and the beautiful photographs, it's just a stunning piece of work.
I fully agree with everything here! Now, I want to pick up some juniper berries, too. I'm wondering if I could reduce some gin to impart some more of that flavor to the mix

@morning glory: are those fennel fronds you used for a garnish?

I'm wondering if I could reduce some gin to impart some more of that flavor to the mix

You probably could but the sauce is packed with flavour already. I must confess I don't think I've ever used gin in a recipe. If anything I was thinking of adding Pernod but in the end I didn't think it necessary.

Yes - they are fennel fronds. Substitute dill if no fronds on the fennel.

In my view to get maximum impact from the mushrooms then leave them whole. They look much better than sliced or chopped mushrooms and are more succulent.

Back
Top Bottom