Recipe Braised old pheasants.

Burt Blank

Legendary Member
Local time
11:21 PM
Go for a brace that have long and pointed spurs. They will have survived the shoot and will be to old and tough for roasting. Epic mate I now I'm teaching you to suck eggs. Quarter the pheasants. Dice about 2 oz/50 grm of pancetta per bird . Fry to extract the fat then remove the bits. Fry the pheasant pieces put aside . If you cannot buy a whole sour cabbage, use a savoy. Remove the spine from each leaf and blanch till pliable. Wrap each piece of pheasant with the blanched leaves. Dice and fry in the remaining fat onion and any root veg you fancy. The frying should all be done in a lidded casserole that is oven proof. Add the cooked pancetta stir, add the wrapped pheasant pieces. Turn the heat up and add Gerd Anselmann Pfalz Riesling Dry or any dry Riesling. Boil the alcohol off, lid and put in a medium oven cook till tender. I serve it with colcannon.

Last edited:
Go for a brace that have long and pointed spurs. They will have survived the shoot and will be to old and tough for roasting. Epic mate I now I'm teaching you to suck eggs. Quarter the pheasants. Dice about 2 oz/50 grm of pancetta per bird . Fry to extract the fat then remove the bits. Fry the pheasant pieces put aside . If you cannot buy a whole sour cabbage, use a savoy. Remove the spine from each leaf and blanch till pliable. Wrap each piece of pheasant with the blanched leaves. Dice and fry in the remaining fat onion and any root veg you fancy. The frying should all be done in a lidded casserole that is oven proof. Add the cooked pancetta stir, add the wrapped pheasant pieces. Turn the heat up and add Gerd Anselmann Pfalz Riesling Dry or any dry Riesling. Boil the alcohol off, lid and put in a medium oven cook till tender. I serve it with colcannon.

What is the estimated time until tender? Not that I'm likely to receive any old pheasants.

What is the estimated time until tender? Not that I'm likely to receive any old pheasants.
Very hard to estimate with old male or female birds as they also differ. I use a skewer to test after 150 minutes. NB I never serve it on the day of cooking. A good game butcher should have the brace matched by age hanging in their feathered state. Buy two brace and cooked a pair by sex.

Last edited:
Sounds good BB. It would adapt for younger birds - mine only took 25 mins last night, and was cooked whole. I like the idea of colcannon with it.

Back
Top Bottom