Bread and storage

elles-belles

Veteran
Local time
6:08 PM
I am probably just being lazy right now and not using much common sense but I have always wondered what the right duration for storing bread is?

I usually freeze my wholewheat bread for a long time but recently I got a feeling that it must have gone off. There was no mold or anything like that but it just smelled of yeast and that really took me by surprise. I of course didn't eat it.

Does anyone have any advice on storing bread? I always make so much that we never finish it off at one go or in a few days!

I always store it in the fridge for about a week. That is usually when it's all gone. :wink:

Normally I store my bread at room temperature, but that is only because bread gets used up quite quickly in my home. Also, I tend not to buy too much at one time. However, there have been times when I did buy extra bread and I stored it in the fridge, not the freezer. I found that it lasted more than a week when stored in the fridge. I have discovered that keeping certain food items in the freezer for too long a period of time tends to spoil them rather than preserve them. This happened on more than one occasion when I placed certain vegetables in the freezer for more than a day. So, I guess bread may be one of those items that should not be kept in the freezer for too long a period of time.

It's very humid where I live so I tend to keep my bread in the refrigerator. I don't eat that much bread so it takes me a while to finish a loaf and I have found that keeping it in the fridge helps it last better. If I catch a really good deal on bread such as 2 for 1, I put the second loaf in the freezer, but then it's in there months, lol.

Your bread may have been too humid in your fridge. Just check the settings, or be mindful of what part of the fridge you keep it in.

We actually store almost all of our bread in the freezer. It is pulled out and defrosted the day it is needed. It takes about 30 mins or less to defrost in the morning for my husband to make his sandwiches, so he just pulls the slices out before breakfast and make his sandwiches after breakfast. The bread might be very slightly still frozen but it doesn't affect the sandwiches. He'll pull out what I have for the day at the same time and put it in a sealed container in the fridge. When I'm ready for it, it had defrosted.

If someone wants toast, it is toasted from frozen.

Any unsliced loaves are either stored in an airtight container at room temperature or sliced and frozen depending on what their planned use is!

We also put our bread in the refrigerator only if it will not be eaten at once. But most of the time we buy newly bake bread everyday in a bakery near our house that is why we do not store bread for a long time.

We get through bread quite quickly so I never bother to freeze it. I just keep it in a cold dark cupboard and make sure the bag is properly closed before putting it away. This seems to work for me.

Thanks everyone, from what I pick up... the general consensus is that the freezer is the perfect place to store bread!
I suppose I might have just been a bit paranoid there when I thought the bread might have gone bad. I also think maybe my defrosting technique is questionable and that maybe I should rather leave the bread out straight from thee freezer to defrost!

When I am in a huge hurry, I stick it in the microwave to speed things up but then it mostly comes out tad soggy and pipping hot!

I have one grandson that eats at least 4 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches every day so bread does not stay in this house long. The kitchen is hot so the loaf that is waiting for him is in the refrig and the one he is working on is on the counter. I don't eat much bread and I eat whole wheat so my bread is in the freezer and pulled out as I need it.

we try to buy fresh bread three times a week and then have sliced bread in between from the freezer,my lads eat a lot of wraps and brioche which tends to keep better,we keep all bread covered at room temperature,but in the warmer months tends to deteriorate quicker

Back
Top Bottom