The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
2:02 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
IMG_0796.JPG

These are easy to make and reasonably healthy. I'm sure the same thing can be done to cauliflower.

Prep Time:
10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes

Broccoli Bites nutrition.jpg

Ingredients

1 lb broccoli, rinsed and trimmed
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1⁄3 cup panko breadcrumbs
2 large eggs

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
  2. Cut the broccoli florets into bite sized pieces. Cut the stalk into 1/8-inch thick, round slices. Place the broccoli into a mixing bowl and toss with the olive oil, garlic, kosher salt, and pepper and set aside.
  3. Beat the eggs together and set aside.
  4. Spread the panko into a cookie sheet and place into the oven for 2 minutes or until lightly toasted. Set the timer so you don't burn them!
  5. Remove the panko from the oven. Dip each floret in the egg wash, then in the breadcrumbs, and place on a cookie sheet. Place in the oven on the center rack and roast until the broccoli is tender, 8 to 10 minutes.

View attachment 8063
These are easy to make and reasonably healthy. I'm sure the same thing can be done to cauliflower
A nice recipe - I note you say 8 -10 mins in the oven. When I make cauliflower cheese I pre-cook the cauliflower until 'al dente' before baking. If I were to put raw cauliflower or broccoli in, then I think it would take a long time to cook through.

This isn't a criticism - just curious. Is the broccoli crunchy? I suppose I need to try it out!

A nice recipe - I note you say 8 -10 mins in the oven. When I make cauliflower cheese I pre-cook the cauliflower until 'al dente' before baking. If I were to put raw cauliflower or broccoli in, then I think it would take a long time to cook through.

This isn't a criticism - just curious. Is the broccoli crunchy? I suppose I need to try it out!
Now that you mention it, I do believe cauliflower behaves differently. These were cooked through in 8 minutes, without a parboil, though I probably should have left them in for the full 10 minutes I list in the recipe (just to get the breading a bit browner). I think the oil and egg wash provide enough moisture to soften it up in the oven.

Back
Top Bottom