Breakfast on an open fire

Anybody tried the old boy scout / girl guide idea of cut top off an orange - scoop out the inside [your breakfast orange juice] put and egg and some chopped up bacon / ham inside the skin plus a little seasoning tomato / mushrooms - refit the 'lid' [use a skewer of some kind] and cook in the embers 10 - 15 mins [depends on size of orange] . If you eat from the orange when cooked - no washing up !

Anybody tried the old boy scout / girl guide idea of cut top off an orange - scoop out the inside [your breakfast orange juice] put and egg and some chopped up bacon / ham inside the skin plus a little seasoning tomato / mushrooms - refit the 'lid' [use a skewer of some kind] and cook in the embers 10 - 15 mins [depends on size of orange] . If you eat from the orange when cooked - no washing up !
Orange and egg, orange and mushrooms... now those are taste combinations I've not come across. I'm trying to imagine... The bacon and orange I can get - a bit like glazing gammon with marmalade (which works beautifully). But, in my experience, eggs and mushrooms don't go to well with citrus fruit.

Should I ever have a camp fire (very unlikely), I'll have to try it! Not sure how I could replicate it in the kitchen. Would it work baked in the oven. I wonder?

Orange and egg, orange and mushrooms... now those are taste combinations I've not come across. I'm trying to imagine... The bacon and orange I can get - a bit like glazing gammon with marmalade (which works beautifully). But, in my experience, eggs and mushrooms don't go to well with citrus fruit.

Should I ever have a camp fire (very unlikely), I'll have to try it! Not sure how I could replicate it in the kitchen. Would it work baked in the oven. I wonder?
Would it work in the oven, no.
Try barbequeing in the oven. Not quite the same.

Orange and egg, orange and mushrooms... now those are taste combinations I've not come across
Might be good but I suspect it might depend on how well you scoop out the orange - any old boy scouts /girl guides on here ?
Doubt if it would work in the oven but might be able to try it in the coals of a charcoal BBQ however :okay:

And ?? Have you tried it ? Have you done many outdoor camps and have you any old outdoor recipes to share - we must know. :hungry:
Yes, yes and yes.

Also a Camp Warden during that time. Roped into judging dodgy cooking more than once.

Having watched Bear Grylls and seen some of the 'delicacies' he consumes I can only ask how bad can the cooking be ? After all better poorly cooked sausages than bear poop and bugs :sick:.
Some of us still camp occasionally [although I admit I use a motorcycle to carry the kit now] so come on let's have those [easy] camp recipes :hungry:

Check out my purchase of a scout cookbook featuring eggs in orange in the thread:
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/sweet-and-sour-chicken.5129/
The book is written by a professional chef:
Nick Allen is a professional chef who has been involved in Scouts from the age of six. Currently a sous chef at the Dorchester Group's Coworth Park Hotel, when he's not running the kitchen of Michelin-starred executive chef John Campbell, he is often to be found cooking eggs in oranges over an open fire at Scout camp. As Assistant Scout Leader, he has traveled the world on Scouting expeditions, and cooked at many a jamboree.

Having watched Bear Grylls and seen some of the 'delicacies' he consumes I can only ask how bad can the cooking be ? After all better poorly cooked sausages than bear poop and bugs :sick:.
Some of us still camp occasionally [although I admit I use a motorcycle to carry the kit now] so come on let's have those [easy] camp recipes :hungry:
As for how bad can the cooking be, have you ever tried building stretchers at two in the morning to carry a couple of scouts and one leader out nearly three miles to the main road, because the ambulances couldn't get in?

You want a management training exercise, spring the above on them. It includes getting enough people to do the carrying.

Back
Top Bottom