Breakfast Starters?

Elementalmage

Veteran
Local time
6:50 AM
Any idea for breakfast starters? I'm pretty new at wanting to learn how to cook/bake and only know a few starter recipes. But these seem more suitable for midday or evening events. I'm going to a special breakfast event and we've been asked to give ideas, since it's going to be almost a sort of high tea thing for our ladies' group.

I can only guess at what on earth a breakfast starter would be. The mind boggles.

Go French and have mini croissants, and mini pain au chocolate and make your life easy and work from there.
Could you do different breads, maybe some pikelets (drop scones) or even some mini scones?

Pikelets or drop scones (same thing just regional names)
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/pikelets-or-drop-scones.1173/

Normal scones, just make them much smaller and drop the cooking times
Seem to be missing a recipe - just take the cheese scones, remove the cheese and the mustard powder, and add 1-2oz caster sugar (fine sugar) and 2oz of either dried fruit or chocolate chips.

Irish Buttermilk Scones
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/irish-buttermilk-scones.4233/

Savoury Scones
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/cheese-scones.10/

griddle scones
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/griddle-scones.4236/

To me breakfast starter is what you eat whilst waiting for your cooked meal,so this includes croissants various pastries crepes ,sliced cheeses ,hams and cured meats .yogurts,prepared fruits fresh and dried ,cereals,juices

Maybe I'm unaware of what a breakfast 'starter' is but I would suggest something along the lines of toast triangles or smoothie shots. As for the main may I suggest egg muffins? Take a circle of toast place at the bottom of muffin tin. Partially cook bacon & wrap around the tin &/or cook up your favourite morning protein with perhaps some onion or spinach. Place this in the tin next with some cheese & crack an egg on top. Toss in the oven at 400 degrees for about 10 to 15 minutes (depending on how well you like your eggs). Tah dah! Adorable.
baconeggmuffins.jpg

Attachments

• baconeggmuffins.jpg
    baconeggmuffins.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 200
I've never considered brekfast starteers before. I rarely eat breakfast as it is. I expect fruit and/or yogurt might be a good idea, as someone has already mentioned, these can be eaten immediately whilst waiting for the main course to be cooked.

Our breakfast starters are always fruits. Papaya (I don't know how this is called in America and Europe) is the yellow fruit that has a soft texture. We eat that as appetizer in the morning. Sometimes it is the melon or cantaloupe but never the banana because it stirs the acid in the stomach. When in the hotel, we have that hot porridge for starters or the croissant and other bread offerings in the buffet table. Last April when I was in Malaysia, there was noodle soup that I took for starters and it was good for my tummy.

My breakfast starter is a cool glass of water. Flapjacks are a good idea too as they are light and easy to make. I did not think of a breakfast starter till now and will explore the idea too. Fresh fruit juice is a great idea as is fresh fruit.

Maybe I'm unaware of what a breakfast 'starter' is but I would suggest something along the lines of toast triangles or smoothie shots. As for the main may I suggest egg muffins? Take a circle of toast place at the bottom of muffin tin. Partially cook bacon & wrap around the tin &/or cook up your favourite morning protein with perhaps some onion or spinach. Place this in the tin next with some cheese & crack an egg on top. Toss in the oven at 400 degrees for about 10 to 15 minutes (depending on how well you like your eggs). Tah dah! Adorable.
baconeggmuffins.jpg

Oh my these look devine and would definitely be a hit at any breakfast get together.
I can't wait to give these a try. Thank you for posting these. They are simple to make
and I agree, they are adorable!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
My breakfast starter is a cool glass of water. Flapjacks are a good idea too as they are light and easy to make. I did not think of a breakfast starter till now and will explore the idea too. Fresh fruit juice is a great idea as is fresh fruit.

I'm interested in what you mean by flapjack. Wouldn't have thought of that as a breakfast thing (or that it was light). So I'm wondering if a flapjack means something else you? This is what I understand a flapjack to look like:

flapjacks_86993_16x9.jpg

I'm interested in what you mean by flapjack. Wouldn't have thought of that as a breakfast thing (or that it was light). So I'm wondering if a flapjack means something else you? This is what I understand a flapjack to look like:

View attachment 1415
why would you not consider something made of oats and sugar (of one form or another) potentially with fruit involved as well as a breakfast snack?
I'm just thinking about porridge with fruit.... after all it is cooked oats, some form of sugar (unless you like it salted) and fruit with milk....

why would you not consider something made of oats and sugar (of one form or another) potentially with fruit involved as well as a breakfast snack?
I'm just thinking about porridge with fruit.... after all it is cooked oats, some form of sugar (unless you like it salted) and fruit with milk....
I had a feeling that this wasn't a British flapjack. In the USA a flapjack is a pancake. But as @SpongeyB is in Kenya I wasn't sure. It was the way @SpongeyB said they were light and easy to make (as if they were being made in the morning). Just couldn't imagine making British flapjacks first thing in the morning for breakfast, whereas pancakes can be described as easy to make and light.

But of course they could be eaten for breakfast.

It is my understanding that a flapjack is a pancake, old days it was called a flapjack. I am not sure what a breakfast starter is but my breakfast is usually just some cereal or yogurt. I have heard of soup starters.

Any idea for breakfast starters? I'm pretty new at wanting to learn how to cook/bake and only know a few starter recipes. But these seem more suitable for midday or evening events. I'm going to a special breakfast event and we've been asked to give ideas, since it's going to be almost a sort of high tea thing for our ladies' group.
not sure what a breakfast starter is, but maybe some kind of mini tarts or mini croissants. I have seen some bit size Danish, and muffins. Maybe this might be kind of a pre breakfast appetizer kind of thing. This is what could be meant by breakfast starters I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom