Brine Curing Olives

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
6:02 AM
We had a few green olives given the other day. I tried one and it was almost inedible so I decided to brine them as a trial (there are only just over a dozen). I soaked them in stages in cold water for 5 days and I believe now is the time to put them in brine solution. From the net I found a "recipe" which calls for water/vinegar mixture at 4 to 1 ratio and a tablespoon of salt per 1/4 litre. The "recipe" then suggests adding one or more spices but doesn't specify examples.

Can anyone suggest either one or more suitable spices to add?

No idea as to spices, though I’d throw some oregano in there for sure.

Very interested, though, so let us know how it goes!

We had a few green olives given the other day. I tried one and it was almost inedible so I decided to brine them as a trial (there are only just over a dozen). I soaked them in stages in cold water for 5 days and I believe now is the time to put them in brine solution. From the net I found a "recipe" which calls for water/vinegar mixture at 4 to 1 ratio and a tablespoon of salt per 1/4 litre. The "recipe" then suggests adding one or more spices but doesn't specify examples.

Can anyone suggest either one or more suitable spices to add?

I make a syrup up for preserving beetroot. Its 50: 50 water and malt vinegar. To a cup of sugar.

I preserve gerkins/ pickles with same ratio but add mustard seeds poppyseed cloves and bay leaves.
My gerkins are pretty popular here.
Btw I hate olive but a mate buys in 2kg jars.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom