Britain's first vegan fish and chip shop has opened.

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
10:16 AM
There is no doubt that veganism has taken the UK by storm in the last few years - there are now an estimated at 3.5 million vegans in the UK. Vegan food ranges are now being stocked in all our supermarkets, there are lots of new vegan restaurants opening and The Great British Bake Off recently featured a vegan week.

One of the most recent vegan restaurants to open is Sutton and Sons - a vegan fish and chip shop. See the full report here: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-an...t-vegan-fish-chip-shop-has-opened-does-taste/

Heh! Thats not far from where we live. We have eaten at the Temple of Hackney but didn't know about this one. We aren't vegan but we eat lots of vegan because my OH is dairy free. I can recommend the Temple as a great vegan venue.

I doubt there is actual fish in vegan fish...its like the pigless pulled pork i eat upon occassion.

I doubt there is actual fish in vegan fish...its like the pigless pulled pork i eat upon occassion.

Its a new vegan ingredient on the block - @Yorky might know about it as it comes from Thailand I believe.

Its banana blossom. Strictly speaking, banana blossom is neither a banana nor a blossom, being instead the fleshy, purple-skinned fruit that you get at the bottom of a cluster of bananas, but this Thai favourite was so popular with the customers of Sutton and Sons, a Hackney chippie that served it during Veganuary, that it merited a standalone vegan fish and chip shop.

Its a new vegan ingredient on the block - @Yorky might know about it as it comes from Thailand I believe.

It's call plee (หัวปลี) and can be used for som tam and as an ingredient for soups. I did have a picture of one from our trees but it appears to have been mislaid.

Here's one from the net:

Male-Banana-Blossom.jpg

It's call plee (หัวปลี) and can be used for som tam and as an ingredient for soups. I did have a picture of one from our trees but it appears to have been mislaid.

You don't fancy making vegan battered fish from it then?

Back
Top Bottom