Recipe Brussels sprouts with bacon and mushrooms

Lynne Guinne

Veteran
Local time
4:44 PM
Love 'em or hate 'em, Brussels sprouts are nutritious and good for you. Unless you are on blood-thinning medication, it appears. It took me a while to learn to love them plain; meanwhile, this recipe can win over all but the most ardent sprouts hater.

1 pound (400 grams) fresh Brussels sprouts, preferably small
1/4 pound (100 grams) bacon strips or rashers
1 pound (400 grams) fresh mushrooms, preferably white button or cremini mushrooms
dried tarragon, to taste* (start with between 1/2 tsp and 1 tsp)
garlic powder, to taste (start with 1/2 tsp) (if you like food really salty, you can use garlic salt, but it's not advised)
lemon juice, if desired

Trim sprouts, cut large ones in half or quarters depending on size. Steam or boil until they are barely tender. You will finish them off in a fry pan.

Clean and slice mushrooms, set aside.

While sprouts are par-cooking, cut bacon into 1 inch (2 1/2 cm) pieces and fry until the fat is rendered from the meat. Remove bacon bits and set aside. If there is a lot of bacon grease, put some aside for later or to use if the pan gets too dry for the mushrooms. Add mushrooms to the bacon grease and saute until they get golden brown. By this time the sprouts will have been cooked sufficiently and drained. Carefully add sprouts to pan, add back the cooked bacon, and stir to blend. Add in your garlic powder and tarragon to taste. Stir, allow flavors to blend, and serve.

If I have fresh lemons on hand, I'll occasionally add a small squirt of lemon juice before I serve this.

* If you dislike tarragon, try whatever herb you prefer until you get a flavor you like.

I'd never cut sprouts, to cook, and I don't think I've ever fried them first time round.

Well - I never knew that about the blood clotting properties of sprouts! I love sprouts in any guise (although I think they suffer from being frozen). I am interested in the use of tarragon in this recipe - its a herb I wouldn't have thought of using with green vegetables. The aniseed taste must be interesting though.

I'd never cut sprouts, to cook, and I don't think I've ever fried them first time round.
They aren't really fried. They are in there just long enough to soak up the flavors, but there is enough heat to make them very tender. I detest soft, mushy sprouts. The plan is to get them right there between too undercooked and too overcooked.

...I am interested in the use of tarragon in this recipe - its a herb I wouldn't have thought of using with green vegetables. The aniseed taste must be interesting though.
We enjoy it, but the herb can be adjusted to what you and yours like. Tarragon is one of my favorites, so I try to find what I can toss it in with. I know I played with this just a bit, then the kids started piling Brussels sprouts on their plates. I figured I had a winner! :laugh:

We enjoy it, but the herb can be adjusted to what you and yours like. Tarragon is one of my favorites, so I try to find what I can toss it in with. I know I played with this just a bit, then the kids started piling Brussels sprouts on their plates. I figured I had a winner! :laugh:

I'm definitely going to experiment. I love tarragon too. It works well as a dried herb unlike some other herbs. I prefer fresh but its not always to hand...

Back
Top Bottom