Buckwheat flour

Wandering Bob

Über Member
Local time
8:40 AM
I would like to know if anyone has used buckwheat flour in their breads.

I have found a recipe elsewhere for buckwheat bread but that uses soaked buckwheat, plus a couple of things that I've never heard of, and baking powder. The end result looked interesting - but it's not exactly what I was looking for.

Buckwheat flour (blé noir) seems to be used exclusively here in Brittany for making sarrasin galettes and, in Eastern Europe/Russia, to make blinis. The shelves in my local supermarket are packed with sacks of it - but I've never come across a bread made from - or with - it (and I've gone back and checked my Elizabeth David and couldn't find any historical references to it either).

I know that buckwheat flour is gluten-free so it would be hopeless on its own as a yeast-levened bread. But I had thought that I'd add some, say 50g to a basic 600g loaf, just to see if there was any added flavour or textural change to the bread.

Anyone tried it out?

I've used it before in combination with rye flour and white bread flour with success. Not for a while though... I didn't soak it when I used it.

I've used it in a mix with other flours for gluten free bread. This was not successful so I'm planning some pancakes with the rest of the flour.

I've used it before in combination with rye flour and white bread flour with success. Not for a while though... I didn't soak it when I used it.

Thanks @morning glory - that looks like the way to go. It's hard to get rye flour here (surprise, surprise) but I can get a Pain de Campagne bespoke flour which has rye flour in it. I shall cut that with some strong white and some buckwheat flour and make a smallish loaf.

You wouldn't soak buckwheat flour unless you were very bored, or had completely misread a recipe, or had simply lost the will to live.

Maybe buckwheat (rather than buckwheat flour) needs its own thread. I could cross-refer to the buckwheat bread recipe I found earlier - and also examine other ways of cooking it. I once made kasha - a sort of buckwheat porridge - and I'll see if I can track down the details again.

I've used it in a mix with other flours for gluten free bread. This was not successful

@Herbie - 'gluten free' seems to be very popular these days. I've come across gluten-free loaves here in France - and they are very expensive. I'm puzzled as to why there's such a boom - surely there aren't that many gluten-intolerant people around? Does it come from a misguided sense of healthiness? surely there's nothing wrong with gluten in a well-balanced diet? or is it me - have I missed the main part of the conversation (I often do) ? For those of us who aren't gluten-intolerant why would we need to make gluten-free bread? unless we're just playing - which I get.

You wouldn't soak buckwheat flour unless you were very bored, or had completely misread a recipe, or had simply lost the will to live.

:laugh:

Maybe buckwheat (rather than buckwheat flour) needs its own thread. I could cross-refer to the buckwheat bread recipe I found earlier - and also examine other ways of cooking it. I once made kasha - a sort of buckwheat porridge - and I'll see if I can track down the details again

OK - good.

I'm puzzled as to why there's such a boom - surely there aren't that many gluten-intolerant people around? Does it come from a misguided sense of healthiness?

Correct - its a stupid fad. There is a very a small percentage of the population who are intolerant to gluten and @Herbie's husband is one of them. The manufacturers of gluten free are making a lot of money from gullible people!

:laugh:

OK - good.

Just talked to a foodie neighbour about this …. she's going to give me some buckwheat flour later in the week so that I can have a play.
I'll also talk to her about buckwheat pancakes - the Breton galettes - and see if she's got anything new to add to the story.
And sarrasin (spelling?) - buckwheat - is on today's shopping list so I'll be up + running soon, and will try and post a new thread later in the week.

Just talked to a foodie neighbour about this …. she's going to give me some buckwheat flour later in the week so that I can have a play.
I'll also talk to her about buckwheat pancakes - the Breton galettes - and see if she's got anything new to add to the story.
And sarrasin (spelling?) - buckwheat - is on today's shopping list so I'll be up + running soon, and will try and post a new thread later in the week.

Oh - buckwheat pancakes! I'm sure I have made those or rather, blinis. I've definitely made buckwheat blinis (traditional in Russia). Very easy to make, too.

Buckwheat flour is very used in Italy and I use it too mixed with white flour to make sometimes pasta or even focaccia and breadsticks.

Could you please share your recipe for a focaccia that uses a mixture of buckwheat and white flour? I'd be really interested to see it, as I'm sure would lots of others

Extending the topic a bit, I just discovered that Tesco's sell buckwheat grain. I will order some next time I do an on-line shop. It could be good for tabbouleh or other grain based dishes.

Screen Shot 2018-07-18 at 08.40.59.png

Back
Top Bottom